With avocado basil pesto, tomato, and vegan mozzarella on roasted garlic focaccia, this Vegan Avocado Pesto Caprese Sandwich is sure to be a hit!
If you're in a sandwich rut, this Vegan Avocado Pesto Caprese Sandwich is for you! It's a great way to switch up your sandwich routine.
This vegan sandwich is easy to make and it travels well, making it a perfect brown bag vegan lunch for traveling.
I used roasted garlic focaccia for this sandwich. It's really easy to make, especially since I used pizza mix.
It can be made the day before, or you can mix the dough and let it sit in the fridge overnight and bake it the next day.
Another recipe to try is my Vegan Bean and Cheese Sandwich.
- Roasted Garlic Focaccia: I used focaccia, but you could use your favorite bread.
- Avocado basil pesto: I used my homemade avocado basil pesto recipe, which also tastes good in an Avocado Pesto Potato Salad recipe. Use your favorite pesto.
- Tomato: Any large tomatoes like beefsteak tomatoes will work.
- Vegan mozzarella: I used Follow Your Heart vegan mozzarella. Use your favorite.
- Basil: It wouldn't be a Caprese sandwich without the fresh basil. You could substitute arugula, spinach, or parsley.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Add avocado, nutritional yeast, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt to a food processor.
Step 2: Mix until smooth and creamy.
Step 3: Spread the avocado basil pesto on toasted focaccia or your favorite bread, and layer fresh basil, tomato, and vegan mozzarella on top.
The video below shows how to make the pesto.
I suggest making the sandwiches right before serving, but if needed you can make them the day before.
The Avocado Basil Pesto will last 3-5 days in the fridge. I actually had mine a little longer and it tasted great, but I like to give the range for the best time to eat it.
Since it will turn brown from oxidization, mix it well when eating leftovers. This will bring forth the greener parts underneath to the forefront.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
A Caprese sandwich has the same ingredients you would find in a Caprese salad: tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. For this vegan Caprese sandwich, I used vegan mozzarella, tomato, and basil.
You could substitute arugula, spinach, or parsley.
Other Vegan Sandwiches
If you tried this Vegan Avocado Caprese Sandwich Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Vegan Avocado Pesto Caprese Sandwich
- Warm focaccia, if desired. Spread avocado basil pesto on both slices of the bread.
- Top with vegan mozzarella, slices of tomato, and fresh basil.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.