This easy Avocado Pesto Grilled Cheese is rich and savory. Made in minutes, it's perfect for a weeknight meal.
This hearty Avocado Pesto Grilled Cheese is made with avocado basil pesto, sliced avocados, and vegan mozzarella on your favorite bread.
It takes vegan grilled cheese to another level. It is creamy and comforting - just what you want in a vegan grilled cheese sandwich.
Another grilled cheese recipe to try is my Vegan Grilled Cheese with Pizza Flavors.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It is a fun twist on a classic.
- It is made in minutes.
- It elevates vegan grilled cheese to another level.
- Bread: I used gluten-free millet chia bread. Use your favorite.
- Avocado basil pesto: I used homemade vegan avocado basil pesto. You could use any pesto, but the addition of avocado in the pesto makes it rich and creamy.
- Vegan mozzarella: I like both Daiya and Follow Your Heart vegan mozzarella. Daiya melts better, but I prefer the taste of Follow Your Heart better. Use your favorite brand.
- Fresh basil: Adds a fresh bite. Since there's basil in the pesto you don't have to add fresh basil leaves.
- Avocado: To add even more avocado goodness than just the pesto.
- Salt: Enhances flavors. For sprinkling on the avocado because it needs it.
- Vegan mayo: For frying the grilled cheese. It adds a rich flavor. You could also use vegan butter.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Mix avocado, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, olive oil, pine nuts, and salt in a food processor. See the video below.
Step 2: Spread on bread. Layer sliced avocado and vegan mozzarella on top.
Step 3: Spread vegan mayo on the outside of bread. Cook on both sides until golden brown.
- To help melt the vegan cheese, place a heat-proof metal bowl or a frying pan lid over the top of the sandwich creating a dome. This works best when the lid is smaller than the pan and just covers the sandwich.
- You could also place an open-faced sandwich under the broiler for a few minutes. Some vegan cheeses melt better than others, so it all depends on which brand you use. You can see from my photos that my cheese could have been melted longer.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
To help melt the vegan cheese, place a heat-proof metal bowl or a frying pan lid over the top of the sandwich creating a dome. This works best when the lid is smaller than the pan and just covers the sandwich.
You could also place an open-faced sandwich under the broiler for a few minutes. Some vegan cheeses melt better than others, so it all depends on which brand you use.
You can use vegan mayo instead of vegan butter. It adds a rich taste. You could also use olive oil.
🥪 Other Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
If you tried this Avocado Pesto Grilled Cheese Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Avocado Pesto Grilled Cheese
- Spread avocado basil pesto on a slice of bread. Top with vegan mozzarella, basil, and sliced avocado. Sprinkle salt on top of the avocado.
- Spread ½ the vegan mayo on the outside of one of the slices of bread. Place the mayo side down on a skillet. While the sandwich is cooking spread the other ½ of mayo on the slice of bread facing you. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.