This easy Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate is sweet, rich, and decadent. You won't ever want a store-bought mix again after trying this!
A peanut butter and chocolate combo is my go-to when I want a sweet treat. So this vegan Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate is right up my alley.
Sweet, rich dark hot chocolate mixed with creamy peanut butter, what could be better? All of you peanut butter lovers out there will love this thick hot chocolate.
Top it with some vegan whipped cream, a drizzle each of chocolate and peanut butter, and some chopped peanut butter cups. Yum!
When I first published this recipe I made it a peanut butter hot cocoa. What's the difference, you ask?
Hot cocoa has unsweetened cocoa powder (or cacao powder in my case), and hot chocolate has melted chocolate. When I republished this recipe I made it hot chocolate because it has a deeper, richer flavor.
For those of you who prefer hot cocoa, I included the original recipe in the recipe card.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It is sweet and rich with a creamy texture. Peanut butter and chocolate are the perfect combination.
- Vegan whipped cream, a chocolate and peanut butter drizzle, and chopped vegan peanut butter cups take this indulgent hot chocolate to a whole other level.
- Made with simple ingredients, it is simple and easy to make.
- Soy milk: I used unsweetened soy milk because I like to control the amount of sweetness. You also could use unsweetened almond milk, oat milk, cashew milk, or any non-dairy milk you like.
- Peanut butter: I used all-natural peanut butter. You could also use shelf-stable peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter. You could even try crunchy peanut butter if you want some added crunch.
- Dark chocolate chips: Adds chocolate flavor. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. You could also use dark chocolate baking chunks.
- Maple syrup: Adds sweetness. You could also use agave syrup, white sugar, coconut sugar, brown sugar, or sweetener of your choice.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances flavors.
- Salt: Enhances sweetness. I like to use sea salt.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Add soy milk to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add chocolate chips and heat until melted.
Step 2: Stir frequently, and cook until the chocolate melts and the mixture becomes frothy.
Step 3: Add peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt.
Step 4: Simmer for a few minutes to melt peanut butter.
To make homemade vegan whipped cream, refrigerate full-fat coconut milk in the fridge overnight. In the morning scoop off the thick cream and whip it with a handheld mixer or stand mixer.
You can also sweeten the whipped cream if desired.
- Vegan marshmallows
- Vegan whipped cream
- Chocolate sauce or melted chocolate chips
- Extra peanut butter for a drizzle of peanut butter on top
- Chopped or melted peanut butter cup
- Chocolate shavings or chocolate sprinkles
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Peanut butter melts on the stovetop and in the microwave oven.
Peanut butter is a wonderful addition to hot cocoa and hot chocolate. The two are a match made in heaven, so it's no wonder they would pair nicely in hot cocoa.
Other Vegan Hot Chocolate Recipes
If you tried this Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
I originally posted this recipe on Feb. 8, 2017. I added new photos, and text, and changed the recipe slightly when I republished it.
Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
- Pour soy milk into a pan. Bring to a simmer.
- Add chocolate chips. Simmer on medium heat, stirring constantly until the chocolate is melted.
- Add peanut butter, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and salt. Stir and remove from the heat.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Drizzle
- Microwave 10 dark chocolate chips and ½ teaspoon coconut oil for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave longer if needed.
- Microwave peanut butter and the other half of coconut oil for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave longer if needed.
- Top peanut butter hot chocolate with vegan whipped cream, then chocolate and peanut butter drizzle.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.