These gooey Vegan Rice Crispy Treats have a secret ingredient to make them even more sweet and rich and elevate them to another level!
Since I have been vegan for over 20 years, it's been a very long time since I've had rice crispy treats.
I'm so happy that vegan marshmallows are available so that I can make Vegan Rice Crispy Treats as well as other desserts with marshmallows.
These rice crispy treats taste just like the original, but with an added ingredient that makes them even better in my opinion.
Another recipe you can make with your kiddos is my Snicker Dates recipe.
Are They Vegan?
For this recipe I used vegan butter, vegan marshmallows, sweetened condensed coconut milk, and vegan rice crisp cereal, making them completely vegan.
Make sure to read the labels, especially for the rice crisp cereal. Some rice krispies cereal contains D3, which is an animal by-product.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- They are sweet and rich.
- They are simple and easy to make.
- They're made in under 15 minutes.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Rice crisp cereal: I used gluten-free rice crisp cereal. Use your favorite.
- Vegan marshmallows: I used Dandies vegan mini marshmallows.
- Sweetened condensed coconut milk: Adds a sweet rich flavor and helps the bars stay soft longer.
- Vegan butter: I used Earth Balance vegan butter. Use your favorite vegan butter.
Step 1: Spread coconut oil or vegan butter into a 7 ½" x 9 ½ " (or similar size) baking dish. Set aside.
Step 2: Melt vegan butter in a pan over low heat.
Step 3: Add vegan marshmallows. Stir until melted. The vegan marshmallows will melt into a big blob.
Step 4: Add the vanilla extract, salt, and sweetened condensed coconut milk.
Step 5: At this point add the rice crisps cereal in batches. Stir to combine.
Step 6: Grease a spatula and spread the mixture into the greased baking dish.
Step 7: Push down with your hands to get out the air pockets. You can dampen your hands with water so that it's less sticky.
Why Add Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk?
The sweetened condensed coconut milk gives these rice crispy treats an ooey-gooey texture and an extra-rich taste. They stay soft longer, and when you store them in the fridge like I do, they are still soft.
- Make sure to get a rice crisps cereal that doesn't have vitamin D3. It can be derived from an animal source.
- I tried this with two different kinds of brown rice crisps cereal, Barbara's and One Degree Organic Foods. I liked the One Degree cereal better, which is what's shown in the photos. The texture was better in my opinion. You may find one you like better.
- Let them cool before cutting into them so that they can set.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Yes, the Dandies brand of marshmallows is vegan, which is what I used for this recipe. There are probably other brands, but Dandies are the only ones I've tried so far.
For this recipe I used sweetened condensed coconut milk to soften them up and give them an extra sweet, rich taste.
Other Vegan Desserts
If you tried this Vegan Rice Crispy Treats Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Vegan Rice Crispy Treats
- Grease 7 ½" x 9 ½" (or similar size) baking dish with coconut oil or vegan butter.
- Melt vegan butter in a pan over low heat.
- Add vegan marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Add sweetened condensed coconut milk, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix well. Turn off heat.
- Add brown rice crisps cereal in batches. Mix well.
- Grease a spatula with coconut oil or vegan butter. Spread mixture into baking dish.
- Push down mixture with damp hands. Cover and place in the fridge.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.