These vegan Soy Chorizo and Tofu Breakfast Tacos are spicy and satisfying. They are a perfect way to start your day!
Here in Tucson I see a lot of chorizo con huevos served for breakfast, which means sausage with eggs. Mexican chorizo is a spicy sausage. Sometimes I see potato or “papa” thrown into the mix. Today, I have made a vegan version of this traditional Mexican breakfast, in the form of Soy Chorizo and Tofu Breakfast Tacos.
To make this dish a little healthier and more colorful, I added in some red pepper and spinach. I didn’t add any seasonings because the soy chorizo has plenty of spices. I like to eat this by itself, but thought it would look better in taco form. I also like to eat it with vegan sour cream.
I have seen this dish (both vegan and not) served with salsa. Here in Tucson, I have heard that eating it with salsa is offensive to the cook, because the soy chorizo has plenty of spices and should be eaten on its own. I personally thought it did not need salsa, but I also know that once my recipe goes out into the ether, I have no control over how it is eaten. So, however you eat this, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It is perfect for cold Winter months when you crave a hot breakfast!
*Affiliate links below. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission.
Soy Chorizo and Tofu Breakfast Tacos
- 1 medium potato, chopped into large chunks
- 14 oz. firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 12 oz. soy chorizo
- 4 cups spinach
- corn tortillas
- vegan sour cream (optional)
- Put chopped potato in a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until tender. Drain the water and let the potato cool. Once cooled, peel and cut into small chunks.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add pressed tofu. Cook until tofu starts to brown.
- Add chopped red pepper and cook until crisp tender.
- Add soy chorizo and chopped potato and cook for several minutes more.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Spoon some of the mixture into warm tortillas and serve with vegan sour cream.