This easy Spinach Tofu Scramble is a perfect way to start your day. It is packed with protein and vegetables.
I love to have a smoothie for breakfast - it gives me vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, probiotics, greens, and protein. My favorite all-in-one shake is Vega One, which gives me everything I need.
When I want something hot and comforting, I turn to a Spinach Tofu Scramble. It fills me up with protein and veggies.
The vegetables I used were what I happened to have in my fridge, but there are so many possibilities of what to include. I have made this Tofu Scramble with tomatoes, broccoli, onion, hot chili peppers - the list goes on.
I have also made a Tofu Scramble and Black Bean Breakfast Burrito with black beans, serrano pepper, onion, spinach, bell pepper, tomatoes, and spices.
You could even make Stuffed Peppers with Tofu. Play around with your favorite veggies to see what you come up with!
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It is about one of the easiest vegan dishes you could make!
- It's done in under 30 minutes.
- It is a healthy and hearty savory breakfast, making it a perfect way to start your day.
- Tofu: When crumbled, gives a texture similar to scrambled eggs. I used firm tofu packed in water found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. Extra firm tofu will also work.
- Turmeric: Adds a yellow color and flavor. You could leave it out.
- Tamari: Adds a savory flavor. I used low-sodium gluten-free tamari because I like to control the amount of sodium. You could also use soy sauce.
- Red bell pepper: You could also use green bell peppers or another vegetable.
- Mushrooms: Use your favorite or another veggie.
- Carrots: Adds sweetness and crunch.
- Green onions: You could also use a yellow onion, red onion, or white onion.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent taste.
- Spinach: I like spinach because it is mild in flavor. You could also use kale or other greens.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
- Olive oil: To cook the tofu spinach recipe.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor
- Roasted vegetables
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Guacamole or sliced avocado
- Hot sauce
- Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, Italian: basil, oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme, or Italian seasoning, Mexican: chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper or chipotle pepper
- Tofu Stuffed Peppers
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Add tofu to a skillet with olive oil. Cook on medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add turmeric, tamari, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes.
Step 3: Add chopped vegetables (except spinach), green onion, and minced garlic.
Step 4:Cook until crisp tender.
Step 5: Add spinach.
Step 6: Cook for 2-3 minutes or until wilted.
This tofu scramble tastes great by itself or it can be eaten on toast or in a tortilla, with Chocolate Vegan Pancakes, Vegan French Toast, vegan sausage or Vegan Eggplant Bacon, fresh fruit, sweet potatoes, hash browns, or home fries.
It is perfect for brunch or wrapped in a tortilla for lunch.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
I think firm tofu is best for this recipe. You could also use extra firm tofu, but I prefer to use that for recipes where the tofu needs to hold together like grilling.
There's no need to press the tofu for this recipe. Make sure to drain the tofu first. any leftover water will cook down.
Turmeric adds a yellow color and a nice flavor in my opinion. You can omit it if you want.
Tofu scramble is great for leftovers several days after it is made.
Other Vegan Breakfast Recipes
This is one of the first recipes that many vegans add to their repertoire when they become vegan. Once you make it, you'll see why. It is one of the easiest recipes you can make, and you can customize it to your liking.
If you tried this Spinach Tofu Scramble Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
This recipe was originally published on December 20, 2014. I've added new photos and more text.
Spinach Tofu Scramble
- 14 oz. firm tofu drained
- ½ - 1 teaspoon turmeric taste after ½ teaspoon, add more if needed
- 1 ½ tablespoons low sodium gluten free tamari
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup chopped carrots
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 cups spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil spray
- Add olive oil to a hot pan. Crumble the tofu and add it to the pan. Cook on medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add turmeric, tamari, salt and pepper and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add vegetables (except spinach), garlic and green onion.
- Cook 5 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp tender.
- Add spinach in batches, if necessary, and cook 2-3 minutes until wilted.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.