This rich comforting Vegan Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Red Pepper is loaded with sweet and savory flavors.
If you have been following me for a while you may have noticed that I am a little obsessed with caramelized onions. One of my favorite ways to use them is in a dip, but I also love them in pasta, vegan tofu quiche, and mushroom sliders.
So today I decided to make Vegan Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Red Pepper. There is something about caramelized onions that takes everything to a whole new level.
They add a sweet, rich taste to whatever you put them in. If you are looking to take your vegan grilled cheese up a notch, caramelized onions are the way to go.
Maple Mustard Tofu is also good in a sandwich.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It is rich and comforting.
- It's better than plain old grilled cheese.
- It is an easy weeknight meal.
- Onions: Yellow onion, sweet onion, or white onion all work.
- Olive oil: To cook the onion and red pepper.
- Salt: Enhances flavors.
- Balsamic vinegar: I like to add a splash of balsamic vinegar to sweeten the onion. You could also use a sprinkle of sugar or brown sugar or leave it out.
- Red bell pepper: Adds sweetness.
- Vegan cheddar: My favorite brands of vegan cheddar are Daiya or Follow Your Heart.
- Vegan mayo: Adds a rich flavor. You could also use vegan butter.
- Bread: My latest favorite is a gluten-free sourdough bread. Use your favorite.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Cook sliced onions in a pan until caramelized.
Step 2: Add the red pepper and cook until softened.
Step 3: Cook the vegan grilled cheese in vegan mayo on both sides until golden brown.
- When making caramelized onion, slow and steady wins the race. For caramelized onions, you need some patience. It takes a good 20 minutes to get nicely browned onions - longer if you're using more onions.
- If they take start to stick add a little water, like a quarter of a cup or so.
- Balsamic vinegar adds a wonderful flavor. I always add a couple of splashes near or at the end of the cooking time.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
This vegan grilled cheese is made with vegan cheddar, vegan mayo, and gluten-free bread. It has the addition of caramelized onions and red pepper.
For this vegan grilled cheese, I like to cook it in vegan mayo or vegan butter. Vegan mayo adds a rich flavor.
🥪 Other Vegan Sandwiches
If you tried this Vegan Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Red Pepper Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Take your vegan grilled cheese to the next level by adding caramelized onion and red pepper!
*This post was originally published on November 27, 2015. I updated the photos and added text.
Vegan Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Red Pepper
- Heat olive oil in pan at medium heat and add sliced onion. Add salt.
- Stir the onions every five minutes or so. Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add a small amount of balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan.
- Add red pepper and cook until softened.
- Layer vegan cheddar, caramelized onion, and red pepper on a slice of bread. Top with other slice of bread.
- Spread 1 teaspoon vegan mayo on the outside of one of the slices of bread. Place face down in a hot pan. While the grilled cheese is cooking over medium heat, spread the other teaspoon of vegan mayo on the other piece of bread (the side facing you). Cook until golden brown on both sides. Repeat with the other sandwich.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.