These baked Zucchini Tots are a healthy vegan side dish. Made with zucchini, potato, and nutritional yeast.
Anytime I can sneak a vegetable into a recipe, I am all over it. Whether it be jicama taco shells, zucchini noodles or mashed cauliflower, I am always looking for ways to get some extra veggies into a recipe.
These Zucchini Tots are a fun and healthy way to get more veggies in. They are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.
While you are at it, freeze some for later!
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Potatoes: I used Russet potatoes. You could also use Yukon Gold potatoes.
- Zucchini: I used zucchini, but you could also use yellow squash.
- Nutritional yeast: Adds a cheesy flavor. I prefer these tots with it, but you could leave it out or use vegan parmesan cheese.
- Basil, oregano: Adds an Italian flavor. You could also use Italian seasoning.
- Olive oil: Binds the mixture together.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Place russet potatoes in a pan with cold water. You want to add the potatoes to cold water and bring both to a boil so that the potatoes cook evenly.
Peel cooled potatoes. Using the largest setting on a box grater, grate potatoes.
Grate zucchini. Using cheesecloth or a clean dish towel, squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
Mix shredded zucchini, potatoes, nutritional yeast, olive oil, herbs, and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
Form zucchini mixture into tots. Place tots on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake until crispy, about 45 minutes.
These tots will last 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
❄️ Can I Freeze Them?
Yes you can! After you form the tots, place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place in the freezer.
After they are frozen, put them in a freezer bag. You can keep tater tots in the freezer 4-6 months, but flavors in the freezer start to fade after a couple of months.
♨️ Reheating From Frozen
The tots can be baked straight from the freezer.
To Bake frozen Zucchini Tots: Place frozen zucchini tots on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cook in an oven or toaster oven at 350° for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
These vegan tots are sure to be a family favorite!
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
- Box grater
- Cheesecloth or clean kitchen towel
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place whole potatoes in a pan with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and boil potatoes until they are tender, about 12-15 minutes. Let cool.
- Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel, then grate potatoes in a bowl on the the largest setting of a box grater.
- Grate zucchini. In a cheesecloth or clean towel, squeeze out as much water as possible.
- To the bowl of grated potatoes, add finely grated zucchini, nutritional yeast, basil, oregano, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Using your hands, make tots. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes, or until crispy, flipping halfway through.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.