This Vegan Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Gravy is sweet, rich, and savory. You're going to want this on your holiday menu!
Next to vegan mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving, vegan gravy is probably my second favorite item on the menu. This Vegan Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Gravy is no exception.
It is sweet and savory with a touch of umami flavor.
I mixed half the onions and mushrooms in the food processor after cooking them to make a thicker gravy so that there are fewer mushrooms and onions to bite into.
This Vegan Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Gravy tastes great on my Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic. Another way that I ate it was as a dip for toast.
Drizzle it over a veggie burger or eat it with French fries. Vegan gravy is not just for mashed potatoes you know!
Another recipe to try is my Vegan Gluten Free Stuffing with Mushrooms.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Onion: I used a yellow onion. They work best in this recipe.
- Olive oil: To cook the onions. You could also add in some vegan butter.
- Balsamic vinegar: Adds sweetness. You could also use brown sugar or white sugar.
- Mushrooms: I used crimini mushrooms (baby bella mushrooms / baby portobello mushrooms). You could also use button mushrooms or your favorite.
- Flour: I used gluten-free all-purpose baking flour. Any all-purpose flour would work.
- Vegetable broth: I used low sodium vegetable broth because I like to control the amount of sodium. You could also use regular vegetable broth.
- Tamari: Adds salty umami flavor. I used low sodium gluten-free tamari because I like to control the amount of sodium. You could also use regular tamari. Vegan worcestershire sauce or vegan aminos would probably also work since they also have a salty umami taste.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onions.
- Cook on low heat until caramelized, about 35 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan. Add salt and stir.
- Add sliced mushrooms and the rest of the oil. Cook about 5 minutes until tender. Add salt and pepper.
- Add flour. Whisk to combine. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and tamari. Bring to a boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Divide ½ the mushrooms and onions and blend in a food processor. Add the mixture back into the gravy.
Other Mushroom and Onion Recipes
This vegan gravy will elevate your vegan mashed potatoes to the next level!
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Vegan Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Gravy
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a hot pan. Add chopped onion and cook on low heat for about 35 minutes, or until onions are caramelized. Add balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan. Add salt.
- Add sliced mushrooms and the rest of olive oil. Cook about 5 minutes, or until tender. Add salt and pepper.
- Add gluten free flour. Cook 2 minutes. Add vegetable broth and tamari. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Take ½ the cooked mushrooms and onions and blend in a food processor. Add back to gravy.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.