These healthy Spicy Tofu Tacos have a spicy crumbled tofu filling in a crunchy taco shell with all your favorite toppings.
Did someone say Taco Tuesday?
These healthy Tofu Tacos are spicy and flavorful. They are easy to make and come together pretty quickly.
This is one of those recipes where you can customize it to your liking. The spicy tofu taco filling is the star of the show. What you add to the tacos is up to you.
I made my vegan tacos with chopped lettuce, cherry tomatoes, sliced Kalamata olives, and salsa. I almost added guacamole, but decided against it because I wanted the crumbled tofu to shine through.
You could use the crumbled tofu in a burrito, enchiladas, or a taco salad. I plan on using it in at least two other recipes.
Can Vegans Eat Tofu?
Yes! Tofu is not only vegan, but also gluten-free unless it's baked in a marinade with ingredients containing gluten. Some baked tofu is baked in soy sauce.
Normally I use soft corn tortillas to make vegan tacos. Since living in Tucson, Arizona the past 19 years, I've been exposed to a lot of authentic Mexican cuisine.
Hard shell tacos are not authentic Mexican cuisine. They're an Americanized version of a taco.
Does that make them a bad thing? Of course not.
What's not to love about hard shell tacos? They add a crunchy aspect that you can only get from the fillings in a soft taco. Ingredients like slaw, lettuce, or radishes.
How To Make This Recipe
- Heat olive oil in a hot skillet. Add chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add crumbled tofu. Cook 5-10 minutes or until starting to turn golden brown.
- Add herbs, spices, and tomato paste. Stir to combine and cook for a few minutes.
- Warm taco shells and build in this order: tofu mixture, salsa, shredded lettuce, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, and Kalamata olives.
Do I Need to Press the Tofu?
For this recipe it isn't necessary to press the tofu. Always drain the water out when buying the refrigerated tofu.
More Ways to Use Tofu Taco Meat
These healthy Spicy Tofu Tacos have a spicy crumbled tofu filling in a crunchy taco shell with all your favorite toppings. Click To Tweet
Other Vegan Mexican Recipes You Might Like
- Smothered Vegan Burritos
- Black Bean and Corn Vegan Quesadilla
- Vegan Mexican Tortilla Pizza
- Vegan Refried Bean Burrito with Jalapeño Cilantro Hummus
Substitutions and Additions
- Instead of tomato paste you could use salsa, but it isn't as flavorful in my opinion.
- Use salsa verde in place of tomato based salsa.
- Add vegan sour cream, sliced avocado or guacamole.
- Use soft tortillas in place of hard taco shells.
How Long Does Tofu Taco Meat Last?
The tofu mixture lasts about 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
Tofu tacos with taco seasoning, what's not to love! These vegan tacos are full of flavor.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need:
Spicy Tofu Tacos
Spicy Tofu Taco Filling
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu drained and crumbled into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano crushed in your hands
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- ¼ cup salsa
- Salt and pepper
- Spicy Tofu Taco Filling: Add olive oil to a hot pan. Add chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic. Cook 30 seconds.
- Add crumbled tofu. Cook for about 5-10 minutes, or until starting to turn golden brown in areas.
- Add herbs and spices, tomato paste, and salsa. Mix thoroughly and cook for a few minutes.
- Tacos: Warm taco shells according to instructions on pack. Build tacos in this order: tofu taco filling, salsa, lettuce, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, and Kalamata olives.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Do You Prepear?
I have partnered with Prepear as one of their Meal Plan Pros to offer meal plans and recipes to users. It makes meal planning fast and easy! Plus it's FREE!