These healthy Spicy Tofu Tacos have a spicy crumbled tofu filling in a crunchy taco shell with all your favorite toppings.
These healthy Tofu Tacos are spicy and flavorful. They are easy to make and come together pretty quickly.
This is one of those recipes where you can customize it to your liking. The spicy tofu taco filling is the star of the show. What you add to the tacos is up to you.
I made my vegan tacos with chopped lettuce, cherry tomatoes, sliced Kalamata olives, and salsa. I almost added guacamole, but decided against it because I wanted the crumbled tofu to shine through.
You could use the crumbled tofu in a vegan burrito, enchiladas, or a taco salad. I plan on using it in at least two other recipes.
Normally I use soft corn tortillas to make vegan tacos. Since living in Tucson, Arizona the past 19 years, I've been exposed to a lot of authentic Mexican cuisine.
Hard shell tacos are not authentic Mexican cuisine. They're an Americanized version of a taco.
Does that make them a bad thing? Of course not.
What's not to love about hard shell tacos? They add a crunchy aspect that you can only get from the fillings in a soft taco. Ingredients like slaw, lettuce, or radishes.
A fusion taco recipe is my Vegan Japanese Taco Rice. It has tempeh and taco flavors on a bed of rice.
Can Vegans Eat Tofu?
Yes! Tofu is not only vegan, but also gluten-free unless the tofu is baked in a marinade with ingredients containing gluten. Some baked tofu is baked in soy sauce.
- Onion: I used a yellow onion. You could also use a white onion or a red onion.
- Olive oil: For cooking the tofu filling.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
- Extra firm tofu: I used extra firm tofu packed in water found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. You could also use firm tofu.
- Chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, Mexican oregano: Adds a taco seasoning flavor. You could also use store-bought taco seasoning.
- Tomato paste: Adds a rich concentrated tomato flavor.
- Salsa: Use your favorite or make some homemade restaurant style blender salsa.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
- Tacos shells: I used hard taco shells. You could also use tortillas.
- Salsa: You could use a homemade chunky salsa or your favorite.
- Lettuce: I used romaine lettuce. You could use iceberg lettuce or another crunchy variety.
- Tomatoes: I used cherry tomatoes. Use whatever is available.
- Kalamata olives: You could also use green olives or leave them off.
- Cilantro: I know not everyone is a fan of cilantro. You could use green onions instead or just leave it off.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
- Heat olive oil in a hot skillet. Add chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add crumbled tofu. Cook 5-10 minutes or until starting to turn golden brown.
- Add herbs, spices, and tomato paste. Stir to combine and cook for a few minutes.
- Warm taco shells and build in this order: tofu mixture, salsa, shredded lettuce, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, and Kalamata olives.
The tofu mixture lasts about 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
Do I Need to Press the Tofu?
For this recipe it isn't necessary to press the tofu. Always drain the water out when buying the refrigerated tofu.
The tofu taco filling can be used in so many ways.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Instead of tomato paste you could use salsa, but it isn't as flavorful in my opinion.
- Use salsa verde in place of tomato based salsa.
- Add vegan sour cream, sliced avocado or guacamole.
- Use soft tortillas in place of hard taco shells.
🌮 Other Vegan Tacos
Tofu tacos with taco seasoning, what's not to love? These vegan tacos are full of flavor. Serve them with some Vegan Mexican Cauliflower Rice.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Spicy Tofu Tacos
Spicy Tofu Taco Filling
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu drained and crumbled into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano crushed in your hands
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- ¼ cup salsa
- Salt and pepper
Spicy Tofu Taco Filling
- Add olive oil to a hot pan. Add chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic. Cook 30 seconds.
- Add crumbled tofu. Cook for about 5-10 minutes, or until starting to turn golden brown in areas.
- Add herbs and spices, tomato paste, and salsa. Mix thoroughly and cook for a few minutes.
- Warm taco shells according to instructions on pack. Build tacos in this order: tofu taco filling, salsa, lettuce, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, and Kalamata olives.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.