This Spicy Black Bean Hummus adds a ton of flavor to tacos, burritos, or chips. Made in minutes, it is sure to please!
This Spicy Black Bean Hummus is creamy with just the right amount of spice. It's made in minutes, and it's much cheaper than store-bought.
It goes great with tortilla chips, in tacos or a vegan quesadilla, or with veggies. Make a Vegan Mexican Tortilla Pizza and replace the refried beans with this hummus recipe.
Another spicy bean dip is my Chipotle Black Bean Dip. It has maple syrup to add some sweetness.
If you like things a bit milder, try my Roasted Red Pepper Hummus.
Another recipe to try is my Vegan Nacho Bean Burger recipe.
- Black beans: Adds the texture, flavor, and creaminess hummus is known for.
- Tahini: Also a traditional hummus ingredient. Adds a nutty sesame flavor.
- Serrano pepper: Adds spice. If you don't like a lot of spice, you could remove the seeds and ribs, use a jalapeño pepper instead, or leave it out.
- Chili powder and cumin: Add a taco flavor.
- Sriracha sauce: For even more spice.
- Lemon juice: Adds a bright tart flavor.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
- Olive oil: Adds creaminess.
- Salt: Enhances the other flavors.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Mix drained and rinsed black beans, tahini, lemon juice, chopped serrano pepper, sriracha sauce, and spices in a food processor until creamy. Let sit overnight to thicken.
This recipe will last about 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- With most of my hummus recipes, I add water. With this recipe, it's not needed because black beans contain more water than chickpeas.
- Taste as you go - you may want more or less spice than I've included.
- Let it sit overnight to thicken. It doesn't get as thick as chickpea hummus, but it will thicken a bit.
Other Hummus Recipes
Switch up your regular hummus with this black bean hummus. You won't regret it!
*I originally posted this recipe on December 22, 2014. I added new photos and text when I republished it.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Spicy Black Bean Hummus
- In a food processor, mix all ingredients until well blended.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.