This Easy Vegan French Toast is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Made in 20 minutes with pantry staples, it is sweet and rich.
This Easy Vegan French Toast is the perfect breakfast or brunch meal. You'd never know that there are no eggs in it!
They are soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. Serve them with some Tofu Bacon or a bowl of fruit.
You could even make it ahead of time and keep it warm in the oven if you are serving a crowd.
Ever wondered how to make a Vegan Monte Cristo Sandwich? It's basically ham and cheese dipped in French toast batter.
🍞 What Is Vegan Gluten-Free French Toast Made Of?
For this Vegan French Toast recipe, I used gluten-free sourdough bread, ground chia seeds, gluten-free all-purpose flour, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and soy milk.
Ground chia seeds are used in place of eggs along with gluten-free all-purpose flour to bind to the bread and give it the crispy crust that French toast is known for.
- Ground chia seeds: Replaces eggs. It binds the batter to the bread. You could also use ground flaxseeds. They also provide an eggy binding quality.
- Gluten-free all-purpose flour: Adds texture and binder.
- Vanilla extract: Adds a rich flavor.
- Soy milk: Adds the liquid component and adds flavor. You could also use oat milk, almond milk, cashew milk, or your favorite non-dairy milk.
- Cinnamon and nutmeg: Both add that wonderful flavor that French toast is known for.
- French sourdough bread: Is sturdy and spongy enough to hold the batter and get crispy on the outside.
This is an overview of the ingredients. For the full recipe with measurements and instructions go to the bottom of the page.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
🥖 What Is The Best Bread For Gluten Free French Toast?
If I wasn't vegan and gluten-free, I'd say Challah, Brioche, or some other soft, sweet rich, thick sliced bread. If you're vegan and gluten-free, I'd say use the best thick hearty spongy bread you can find.
I used a gluten-free French sourdough bread that I found in the freezer section at my local Whole Foods. You can also order it on Amazon.
The sour flavor balances out the sweet flavors of the batter and the maple syrup. The result is fluffy, rich French toast.
This is an overview of how to make the recipe. For full instructions with measurements, see the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Step 2: Mix batter ingredients in a bowl that's large enough to hold a piece of bread.
Step 3: Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add vegan butter. Dip the bread slices, one by one into the batter and place in the frying pan.
Step 4: Fry on both sides until golden brown and crispy. Serve with more vegan butter, maple syrup, and fruit.
This vegan French toast recipe will last about 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
You can reheat it in the microwave if you like your French toast on the soft side. If you use the same bread as I did, and cook it until the edges are crispy, it'll hold up pretty well when reheating it in the microwave.
- If you can't find (or don't want to buy) ground chia seeds, you can grind them yourself in a Nutribullet with the milling blade, in a spice grinder, or even a coffee grinder.
- Use a thick sturdy spongy bread. I used gluten-free French sourdough bread. It holds its shape, soaks up the batter, and the sour flavor balances out the sweet flavors.
- If you use a thicker bread, you might only get 6 slices coated.
- Do not flip the bread in the pan until it's golden brown. That way the batter will stick to the bread better. If you flip it too much (my impatient self knows from experience), the batter will clump up.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Ground flaxseed in place of ground chia seeds
- Your favorite gluten-free flour and gluten-free vegan bread
- Other spices: cardamom, allspice, ginger
- Almond milk, oat milk, cashew milk, coconut milk or other dairy-free milk
- Raspberry Compote
- Powdered sugar
- Maple syrup (of course)
- Vegan butter
- Fresh fruit
Vegan French Toast
- In a bowl combine ground chia seeds, gluten free all purpose flour, vanilla extract, soy milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Heat vegan butter in a large frying pan on medium heat.
- Dip a slice of bread into the batter until well coated. Carefully place it in the pan. Repeat with another slice of bread or two, depending on how large your pan is.
- Fry until golden brown, flip and fry the other side until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the slices of bread, adding more vegan butter as needed.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.