This rich vegan gluten free Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Pasta is perfect for date night!
I am in love with caramelized onions. If they didn't take so long to cook, I'd probably make them more often. Their sweet rich flavor takes ordinary dishes to a whole new level.
Sometimes the simplest meals are the best ones. That is the case here. This vegan pasta is super easy to make.
Yes, it takes some time to caramelize onions, but man is it worth it.
Red wine adds another dimension of flavor. Mushrooms go well with caramelized onions, adding an umami flavor.
You could also use other veggies, like asparagus or bell pepper.This rich vegan gluten free Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Pasta is perfect for date night! Click To Tweet
Other Fun Ways to Use Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
- Portobello Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Sliders
- Vegan Mashed Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
- Vegan Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Grilled Cheese
- Chipotle Pumpkin Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
- Vegan Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Gravy
How to Make This Recipe
- Cook pasta according to directions, making sure to add salt to the water. Drain water and set aside.
- Slice onions and mushrooms about ⅛" thick.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add sliced onions. Season with salt.
- They will soften up as they cook. It will take a good 35-40 minutes.
- If they take start to stick add a little water, like a quarter of a cup or so at a time.
- Balsamic vinegar adds a wonderful flavor. I always add a couple of splashes near or at the end of the cooking time. Alternatively you can add a couple of pinches of sugar or brown sugar.
- Add sliced mushrooms to the onions. Season with pepper.
- Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add red wine. Cook a few minutes until the wine cooks down and is absorbed into the onions and mushrooms.
- When making caramelized onions, slow and steady wins the race. For caramelized onions you need some patience. It takes a good 35-40 minutes to get nicely caramelized onions.
- Use a wine that you would actually drink (and since you don't use much for this recipe, you'll be drinking it).
- Don't forget to salt your pasta water!
Caramelized onions take everything you put them on to the next level. Add in some baby bella mushrooms and you have a rich vegan pasta. No need to eat out when you have this easy dish!
*I originally posted this recipe August 29, 2015. I added new photos and text when I republished it.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need:
Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Pasta
- 8 oz. brown rice noodles
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 cups sliced onion
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 pinches brown sugar or 2 splashes balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms - I used baby bella
- pepper to taste
- ½ cup red wine
- nutritional yeast or parsley for topping (optional)
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Heat olive oil in a pan at medium heat and add sliced onion. Add salt.
- Stir the onions every five minutes or so. Cooking will take about 35-40 minutes. Add the brown sugar or balsamic vinegar the last 5 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms and pepper. Cook until tender. Add the red wine and cook a few more minutes, until wine is cooked down. Serve over cooked pasta.
- Top with nutritional yeast and serve.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.