This Acai Berry Bowl feels like you're eating dessert, but it's really healthy! Made in 5 minutes, it is perfect for busy mornings!
This Acai Berry Bowl is sweet and creamy. It tastes like a frozen dessert, but it is a healthy vegan breakfast made with frozen fruit.
It comes together in minutes, making it perfect for busy weekday mornings or a healthy after-school snack.
If you like smoothies, you are going to love this vegan acai bowl recipe. The difference is a smoothie bowl has a thick consistency and toppings, so you get a contrast of textures.
What Does Acai Taste Like?
If you have never tried açaí (ah-sah-EE) before, it is sweet and tart, kind of like raspberries. It contains antioxidants, fiber and heart-healthy fats.
It comes in a few forms: frozen purée, juice, and powdered. You won't ever see fresh acai berries at a grocery store in the U.S. because they are high in fat and go rancid quickly.
Where Can I Buy Acai?
You can buy acai packets in the freezer section of most grocery stores or order it online. Acai powder can be found in the powdered superfood area of your grocery store.
I buy frozen acai packets at my local Costco. I've also seen it at Target.
You can buy freshly made acai bowls at your local juice bar or acai joint, and premade frozen acai bowls in the freezer section of some grocery stores.
I think it's worth the 5 minutes it takes to make your own homemade acai bowl at home. You can customize it to your tastebuds and nutritional needs.
- Acai: I used a frozen pureed acai packet. You could also use acai powder.
- Frozen banana: Adds a creamy consistency.
- Strawberries and blueberries: You could use fresh or frozen berries. As long as the majority of the fruit is frozen, it is okay to use some fresh.
- Soy milk: I like soy milk for the flavor and added protein. You could use almond milk, oat milk or any non-dairy milk you like. You could also use juice. You only need a small amount of liquid because you want a thick consistency.
- Maple syrup: Adds a sweet maple flavor. You can also use dates, agave syrup, or your favorite sweetener, or leave it out.
- Toppings: I used sliced banana, strawberries, blueberries, chopped walnuts, and shredded coconut. Use your favorite toppings.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Berries: blackberries, raspberries, cherries
- Tropical fruit: pineapple, kiwi, mango, dragon fruit or other fresh fruit
- Seeds: flax seeds, hemp seeds, or pumpkin seeds
- Nuts: almonds, pecans, or pistachios
- Granola: Coconut Granola or Grain Free Granola
- Chocolate: chocolate chips, dark chocolate baking chunks, cacao nibs, or cacao powder for a Cacao Acai Bowl
- Nut butter: peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter
- Protein powder or an all-in-one shake.
- Spinach, kale, or other greens
- Green powder
- Probiotic powder
- Superfood powder: matcha green tea powder, beet powder, mushroom powder, turmeric
- Other plant-based milk
- Juice: apple juice, orange juice, or your favorite juice
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
❄️ Can I Freeze It?
You could, but I don't recommend it. Smoothie bowls are best made fresh. When you freeze it the texture isn't as creamy.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Yes! Acai bowls are a healthy filling breakfast depending upon what you add to them. I like to add some nuts and soy milk for protein. You could also add granola and vegan yogurt to make it even heartier.
Other Smoothies and Smoothie Bowls
This vegan acai bowl is a healthy way to start your day!
Like the coconut bowl that I shot this in? Use code WMOON to get a 10% discount!
If you tried this Acai Berry Bowl Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
I originally posted this recipe on Aug. 12, 2017. I added new photos, text, and a video when I republished it.
Acai Berry Bowl
- Blend all ingredients in a Nutribullet or blender. Top with sliced banana, sliced strawberries, blueberries, coconut flakes, and chopped walnuts.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.