This Baked BBQ Tofu Sandwich is sweet and spicy. The baked BBQ tofu is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Add some pineapple and onion, and you have a match made in heaven! Made with a 4 Ingredient Sriracha BBQ Sauce, it couldn't be any easier!
This Baked BBQ Tofu Sandwich has my favorite flavor combination, so I will be making this vegan sandwich over and over again. It has a sweet, savory, and slightly spicy flavor profile.
For this tofu BBQ sandwich, I sautéed pineapple in coconut oil until browned. I topped the pineapple over some savory onion and my Baked BBQ Tofu recipe that was baked in my 4 Ingredient BBQ Sriracha Sauce.
If you don't like raw onions on a sandwich, you could caramelize them. I wouldn't skip them altogether because I think they add a great flavor to the sandwich.
If you've ever bought baked tofu, you'll love how much cheaper making your own is. It really is quite easy and doesn't take much prep time at all.
Many baked tofu products contain gluten, so for those of you avoiding it, making your own is a great solution.
This vegan tofu sandwich is healthy and satisfying. Even the pickiest eaters will love it.
If you like BBQ, try my Vegan Pineapple Pizza with BBQ Sauce. It is out of this world!
Another recipe to try is my Veggie Sandwich with Basil Pesto Hummus.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It is sweet and spicy.
- It is simple and easy to make.
- It is perfect for a weeknight meal.
- Baked BBQ tofu: I used my homemade BBQ tofu recipe that is baked in a 4 ingredient BBQ sauce.
- Coconut oil: For cooking the pineapple slices. You could also use olive oil.
- Pineapple: I used pineapple slices because they are the easiest to stack on a sandwich.
- Onion: Sweet onion, yellow onion, or white onion all work.
- Lettuce: I used Romaine lettuce. You could use any greens you like.
- Bread: I used gluten-free bread that I toasted.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Cook pineapple slices in coconut oil until browned.
Step 2: Layer toast with lettuce, BBQ tofu, pineapple, and onion.
- If you like to slather extra sauce on your vegan sandwiches, then I would make a whole batch of the 4 Ingredient Sriracha BBQ Sauce (the Baked BBQ Tofu only calls for ½ of a batch).
- If you aren't a raw onion fan on your sandwiches, caramelize them instead.
- If you're using brown rice bread or another gluten-free bread, I recommend toasting it. It tastes so much better than straight out of the fridge.
- I recommend taking the few minutes it takes to sauté the pineapple. It brings out its sweetness.
- Serve this vegan tofu sandwich hot or cold, but I think hot is better.
- If you're in a hurry, you could always use store-bought BBQ sauce, but considering it only has 4 ingredients and doesn't have to be cooked, I think it's worth taking a couple of minutes it takes to make it.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
BBQ tofu goes well with sweet and savory flavors, like pineapple and onion as I used in this vegan BBQ sandwich. It also goes well with spicy vegan coleslaw.
You can eat tofu either hot or cold. It tastes great either way.
🥪 Other Vegan Sandwiches
If you tried this Baked BBQ Tofu Sandwich Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Baked BBQ Tofu Sandwich
- Add coconut oil to a hot pan and add pineapple slices. Cook each side on medium heat until browned.
- Layer lettuce, Baked BBQ Tofu, onion, and pineapple on toasted bread. Drizzle BBQ sauce on top, if desired.*
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.