This Chipotle Pizza with Pineapple and Onion is sweet and spicy. It's done in about 30 minutes, so it's perfect for a weeknight meal.
Pineapple and onion pizza is my favorite go-to pizza, so I thought I would turn it into my favorite flavor combination - sweet and spicy. This pizza is sweet, spicy, and smoky.
If you've never had chipotle in adobo sauce, they are smoked jalapeños in a spiced tomato sauce. Chipotle peppers are hotter than jalapeños because they are from fully-ripened jalapeños. As chiles ripen, the capsaicin (which cause their heat) increases. Chipotle peppers have a smoky taste.
This is one of the easiest pizza recipes that you can make. You just mix chipotle in adobo sauce with some marinara sauce to spread on pizza crust, and top it with chopped pineapple and onion.
I used an easy vegan gluten free pizza crust, which literally takes minutes to make, with no waiting time for it to rise.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Pizza crust: I used an easy homemade vegan gluten free pizza dough. Use you favorite.
- Marinara sauce: I used marinara sauce, but you could also use pizza sauce.
- Chipotle in adobo sauce and the adobo sauce: Adds smoky spicy flavor. If you're gluten free, make sure to check labels. Many brands have wheat. I've included my favorite vegan gluten free chipotle in adobo sauce below.
- Pineapple: Adds sweetness. You could also use red pepper pepper, mushrooms, or your favorite veggies.
- Onion: Adds a pungent flavor. You could also use red onion.
- Nutritional yeast: Adds a cheesy flavor. You could leave it off.
- Red pepper flakes: Adds spice. You could leave it off.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
After mixing the pizza dough, bake in the oven 10-12 minutes, or until crispy.
Mix the chopped chipotle pepper and adobo sauce with marinara sauce. Spread on pizza crust.
Top with pineapple and onion. Bake for 10 minutes longer, or until the edges are golden brown.
This pizza recipe will last about 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
You can reheat this pizza in the oven or a toaster oven at a low setting until warmed through. You can also reheat it in the microwave, but the crust won't be as crispy.
📖 Variations / Additions
I know not everyone is a fan of pineapple on pizza. I like this combo because it is sweet and spicy. Use whatever your favorite toppings are!
- Vegan crumbles
- Black beans, pinto beans or other beans
- Vegan cheddar cheese or vegan mozzarella cheese
🍕 Pizza Recipes
This vegan gluten free pizza with a homemade pizza crust has the perfect amount of sweet and spicy flavors. It is a quick meal for busy families.
I originally posted this recipe April 4, 2018. I added new photos and text when I republished it.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This is the brand of chipotle in adobo I buy. It doesn't have wheat like some other brands.
Chipotle Pizza with Pineapple and Onion
- 1 recipe for vegan pizza dough or 2 (9") pizza crusts
- ¼ cup marinara sauce or pizza sauce
- ½ of a chipotle in adobo sauce 1 ½ teaspoons chopped
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons chopped pineapple
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- Nutritional yeast
- Red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Bake pizza crust at 450° for 10-12 minutes, as per instructions, or until crispy but not brown.
- Mix marinara with chopped chipotle pepper and adobo sauce. Spread on pizza crust.
- Top with chopped pineapple and onion. Bake for another 10 minutes, or until edges are brown.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
I have always loved pineapple and onion on my pizza, but the chipotle adds a great spicy flavor. I love that pizza crust!
Willow Moon says