These easy 5 ingredient vegan Chocolate Rum Truffles are the perfect homemade edible gift!
I remember the first time that I had vegan chocolate truffles. It was love at first bite. They were sweet and rich. They melted in my mouth, and a little on my fingers.
It is no surprise that I fell in love with them, since I love dark chocolate so much. When I don't have dark chocolate in the house, I make my own.
That usually looks like cacao powder, peanut butter, and a sweetener thinned down with water to the consistency of a thick pudding.
Of course, I had to make my own truffles. For my vegan Chocolate Rum Truffles, I added one of my favorite liquors - spiced rum to add a deep rich flavor and give them a little kick.
These easy rum truffles are really easy to make. The hardest part is waiting for the chocolate to set. Patience and chocolate are not two words that I usually use together in a sentence.
You can always leave out the rum, or substitute it for another liquor.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Chocolate: I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. You could also use dark chocolate baking chunks.
- Coconut milk: Make sure to use full fat coconut milk. It adds a creamy consistency and rich flavor. If you want to use light coconut milk, you'll need less than listed here.
- Rum: I used spiced dark rum. Use your favorite rum. You could use rum extract as well. I have never tried it so I cannot speak to the flavor.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances flavors.
- Salt: Enhances sweetness.
- Cacao powder: For rolling the truffles in. You could also use cocoa powder.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
- Heat the coconut milk in a double boiler or a saucepan with the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl above it. Heat until the chocolate chips are melted. Alternatively, you can microwave the chocolate chips at 30 second intervals.
- Add the coconut milk to the melted chocolate and stir until there are no lumps. Use a fork or whisk if necessary.
- Add spiced rum, vanilla extract and salt. Pour into an airtight container. Let cool and refrigerate.
- Roll the chocolate mixture into balls. Place back in the fridge to harden.
- Roll in cacao powder.
- Store in the fridge to chill and keep solid.
These vegan truffles will last up to 5 days in and airtight container in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Add less rum and taste to see how you like it.
- For easier rolling, dampen your hands.
Serve these straight out of the fridge. That way they will stay firm longer.
These truffles are made with chocolate chips, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and dark rum.
Yes! Rum and chocolate are a great combo.
Vegan Chocolate Truffles
These easy chocolate truffles with rum are a chocolate lover's delight!
If you love this recipe, please come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Chocolate Rum Truffles
- Pour coconut milk in a saucepan on stovetop. Place chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl and place over coconut milk. This will act as a double boiler. Heat on medium heat until coconut milk comes to a simmer, and chocolate chips are melted slightly.
- Remove both from the heat, and pour coconut milk over chocolate chips to finish melting. Using a spatula, mix until smooth.
- Add spiced rum, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix thoroughly. Pour into an 8x8" glass baking dish, or similar size. Cover and put in the refrigerator to set.
- Once mixture is set, use a melon baller or spoon to form balls. Roll balls in your hands, then into cacao powder. Roll again to give a more polished look, if desired. Refrigerate.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.