This simple healthy Curried Summer Squash Soup is comfort food in a bowl. Infused with coconut milk for a rich flavor.
This rich Curried Summer Squash Soup is warm and comforting. It is perfect for curling up on cold winter days.
I don't garden much, but I've heard that yellow squash and zucchini can really take over the garden. So this recipe is great for using up some of that yellow squash.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Squash: I used yellow squash, but you could also use zucchini or kabocha squash.
- Onion: Adds a sweet pungent flavor.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
- Vegetable broth: I used low-sodium vegetable broth because I like to control the amount of sodium.
- Curry powder: I used Thai curry powder, but regular curry powder works just as well. Adds a warming spice flavor.
- Olive oil: To cook the onion in. Adds flavor.
- Coconut milk: I used full-fat coconut milk. If you want to use light coconut milk, you may want less vegetable broth.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavor and adds flavor.
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot. Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add yellow squash and garlic. Cook until tender.
- In a high speed blender blend the squash onion mixture with half to all of the coconut milk.
- Pour mixture back into the stock pot. Add vegetable broth, Thai curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring ingredients to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
This curry soup will last up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge. You can also freeze it. In the freezer, it will last several months.
Variations / Additions
- Curry paste
- Minced ginger
- Peanut butter for a rich nutty addition
- Cilantro for serving
- Lime juice for serving
- Chopped peanuts for serving
Other Vegan Soup Recipes
- 5 Ingredient Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup
- Tofu Noodle Soup
- Creamy Corn Soup with Jalapeño
- 3 Ingredient Vegan Chili
For all you gardeners out there that have an abundance of yellow summer squash, here is a recipe to make them the stars of the show. Another great recipe to use them up is my Crispy Fried Squash Recipe (which can be baked if you prefer).
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Curried Summer Squash Soup
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot. Once hot, add chopped onion. Cook until translucent.
- Add chopped squash and garlic, and cook until tender.
- In a blender, mix onion, garlic, and squash. Add half to all of the coconut milk and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Put back in the pot and add the rest of coconut milk (if any left), vegetable broth, Thai curry powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low and simmer about 15 minutes.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results