This Kombucha Scoby Ceviche has a balance of flavors with cucumber, tomato, onion, avocado, cilantro, and serrano pepper.
You'd never know there's a kombucha scoby in this vegan ceviche. It has a balance of flavors and textures.
This Kombucha Scoby Ceviche has creamy avocado, crunchy cucumber and onion, juicy grape tomatoes, and meaty kombucha scoby.
After making some homemade kombucha with green tea, Lemon Kombucha or Pineapple Kombucha you are going to start accumulating scobys.
What better way to use up those extra scobys than a vegan ceviche!
What Is Vegan Ceviche Made Of?
This vegan ceviche recipe is made with a kombucha scoby, which mimics meaty seafood. It also has some of the classic ingredients you'd find in ceviche.
How Long Should It Marinate?
To tenderize the kombucha scoby, I let it marinate 8 hours in lime juice.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Kombucha scoby: The scoby is meaty, which makes it a great substitute for seafood. Once it has marinated in lime juice, it is easier to chew.
- Limes: Fresh lime juice tenderizes the scoby and adds flavor. You could also use lemon juice.
- English cucumber: I used an English cucumber for the taste and because of its thin skin. You could use another type of cucumber, but you will want to peel it first, then remove the seeds.
- Grape tomatoes: I used grape tomatoes because I like the meaty, chewy texture. You could use cherry tomatoes, Roma tomatoes or any variety you like.
- Avocado: Adds a wonderful creamy texture and balances out the acidity of the lime juice.
- Cilantro: It isn't ceviche if it doesn't have cilantro, but I know for some people it tastes like soap. If you are one of those people you could use fresh parsley or chives instead.
- Nori: Adds a fishy flavor. You can leave it out if you like.
- Olive oil: Balances out the acidity of the lime juice and adds a nice mouthfeel. It's not a traditional ingredient, but then neither is a kombucha scoby.
- Serrano pepper: I used a serrano pepper because it adds a lot of heat for such a small package. If it's too spicy for you, you could use a jalapeño pepper instead, or leave out the seeds and ribs. If you want it even hotter, you could use a habanero pepper.
- White onion: I used a white onion, because I love the pungent flavor it adds, but you could also use a red onion or green onion.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
- Chop the kombucha scoby into small pieces. Place into an airtight container.
- Pour lime juice over chopped scoby. Let sit 8 hours on the counter. This will tenderize the scoby so that it isn't so chewy. Drain the liquid.
- Place kombucha scoby in a bowl.
- Chop cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, onion, and serrano pepper. Tear nori into small pieces. Place all the ingredients in the bowl with the kombucha scoby.
- Add olive oil and salt. Stir until combined.
- Store ceviche recipe in the fridge.
This vegan ceviche recipe will last about 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- For a spicier salsa include the seeds and veins of the serrano pepper. You could also use a habanero pepper if you want it really spicy.
- For less spice use a jalapeño pepper or take out the seeds and veins of the serrano pepper. You could also start with less than I've listed.
- Chop the kombucha scoby into small pieces. The smaller the pieces are, the easier it will be to tenderize and eat them.
- Use fresh lime juice (or lemon juice). The bottled juice just doesn't cut it when it comes to flavor.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Jalapeño pepper (for less spice)
- Habanero pepper (for more spice)
- Red onion or green onion
- Bell pepper
- Fresh lemon juice or orange juice
- As a dip: with tortilla chips or crostini (small toasted bread)
- On tostadas: By itself or with a layer of refried beans
- On a baked tortilla: like this Vegan Mexican Tortilla Pizza
- Along with other appetizers: like Guacamole, Chipotle Black Bean Dip,
- As the main course with sides: like Mexican Cauliflower Rice, Rainbow Fruit Salad, or a Avocado Pesto Potato Salad
A kombucha scoby is edible. It has all the nutrients that kombucha has. It tastes great in Kombucha Scoby Candy and Kombucha Scoby Strawberry Fruit Roll-Ups.
A scoby tastes like kombucha. It is chewy like a gummy candy. When marinated, like in this recipe, it takes on the flavors of the marinade.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Kombucha Scoby Ceviche
- ½ cup chopped kombucha scoby
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped English cucumber
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped serrano pepper
- 1 small avocado, chopped (¼ cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons torn nori (½ nori sheet) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- Chop kombucha scoby into small pieces. Place into an airtight container. Pour lime juice over it. Let sit 8 hours on the counter.
- Drain the liquid. Place in a bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Refrigerate.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Leave a Reply