This Cucumber Pico de Gallo recipe is light and refreshing. It has the perfect balance of flavors. Eat it with tortilla chips, BBQ, or on tacos.
This fresh Cucumber Pico de Gallo recipe goes well with BBQ, smoky dishes, tacos, or served on toast. Serve it as a dip for tortilla chips.
It also goes well with Asian flavors, like a hoisin sauce or a teriyaki sauce.
It's a nice change from traditional salsa. Fresh Cucumber Salsa is perfect for really hot days like we've been having.
Have you ever had Pan Fried Cucumbers? Frying them (or baking them) is another fun way to eat them.
Vegan Cucumber Dip is another great way to use cucumbers.
- English cucumber: I used an English cucumber for the taste and because of its thin skin. You could use another type of cucumber, but you will want to peel it first, then remove the seeds.
- Grape tomatoes: I used grape tomatoes because I like the meaty, chewy texture. You could use cherry tomatoes, Roma tomatoes or any variety you like.
- Cilantro: To me salsa just isn't salsa if it doesn't have cilantro, but I know for some people it tastes like soap. If you are one of those people you could use fresh parsley instead.
- Limes: Fresh lime juice is another ingredient that makes it salsa for me. If you can't use lime juice for some reason, you could use lemon juice instead.
- Serrano pepper: I used a serrano pepper because it adds a lot of heat for such a small package. If it's too spicy for you, you could use a jalapeño pepper instead, or leave out the seeds and ribs. If you want it even hotter, you could use a habanero pepper.
- White onion: I used a white onion, because I love the pungent flavor it adds, but you could also use a red onion or green onion.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
- Chop cucumber, tomatoes, cilantro, onion, and serrano pepper. Place in a bowl.
- Add lime juice and salt. Stir until combined.
- Place the cucumber mixture in the fridge for about an hour for flavors to combine.
This pico de gallo with cucumber will last about 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- For a spicier salsa include the seeds and veins of the serrano pepper. You could also use a habanero pepper if you want it really spicy.
- For less spice use a jalapeño pepper or take out the seeds and veins of the serrano pepper. You could also start with less than I've listed.
- As a dip: with tortilla chips or vegetables
- In tacos: like BBQ Tempeh Tacos or Cornmeal Baked Avocado Tacos
- Over a main: like Roasted Cauliflower Steaks or Maple Chipotle Baked Tofu
- On a veggie burger: like either Lentil Burgers or Vegan Black Bean Nacho Burger
- In a sandwich: a Baked BBQ Tofu Sandwich would be perfect!
I originally posted this recipe on May 12, 2015. I added new photos, text, and a video when I republished it.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Cucumber Pico de Gallo
- Combine chopped English cucumber, grape tomatoes, cilantro, serrano pepper, and onion in a bowl.
- Add lime juice and salt and put in the fridge for at least an hour so flavors meld.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.