This healthy Mocha Smoothie is made with coffee or mocha grain beverage. Either way, it's a great way to start your day!
This Mocha Smoothie is a sweet treat for breakfast. If you want your coffee and breakfast all in one, the coffee route is a great way to go. This vegan smoothie will get you moving in the morning.
I've included two options for making it; one with cold brew or regular coffee and the other with mocha grain beverage.
A grain beverage is a great alternative for people who don't drink coffee or want to cut back on caffeine. It doesn't taste quite like coffee, but it does have a nice robust flavor.
It comes in different flavors, like almond amaretto, dark roast, hazelnut, vanilla nut, maca chocolate, and more. It comes in tea bag form and an all-purpose grind, which you brew in your coffee maker.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It is energizing.
- It's made in minutes.
- It is sweet and flavorful.
- Frozen banana: I keep frozen bananas on hand at all times. As soon as they're ripe, I peel them, break them in half and place them in a freezer-safe container in the freezer.
- Cacao powder (or cocoa powder): Adds a chocolate flavor.
- Chia seeds: Add protein and fiber. I used ground chia seeds, but whole chia seeds also work. You could also use flax seeds, hemp seeds, or protein powder.
- Coffee or mocha grain beverage: Adds a robust flavor, and if you use coffee, an energy boost. I like to use cold brew coffee because it is less acidic.
- Almond milk: I like to use unsweetened almond milk to control the amount of sweetener.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1: Add ingredients into a high speed blender.
Step 2: Mix until smooth and creamy.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Yes, coffee and banana taste great together in this mocha smoothie.
Add frozen banana, cacao powder, chia seeds, coffee or mocha grain beverage, and almond milk into a high speed blender. Blend. until creamy.
Other Vegan Smoothies
If you tried this Mocha Smoothie Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
*I originally posted this recipe on November 17, 2014. I added new photos, text, and a video when I republished it.
- Brew cold brew coffee, regular coffee or Teecino as per directions. Refrigerate.
- Blend all ingredients in a Nutribullet or blender.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
*Note: When I originally published this post I used the Teecino beverage with barley. Now they have certified gluten-free products, which I linked to above.
If you do happen to purchase the one with barley, this is their info on gluten in their products:
According to Teecino, an independent laboratory tested their products for gluten and found no detectable levels. They recommend using a paper filter in a drip coffee maker or tea bags. I am not Celiac, but gluten intolerant. I have never had an adverse reaction. Check out Teecino’s website here:
Teecino’s website – Frequently asked questions
**Important! If you are gluten-free you may want to avoid coffee altogether. I personally have never had a problem drinking it, and I have a gluten intolerance. It is probably because I drink whole-bean organic coffee, and grind it myself. I learned that it can be problematic for people who don't tolerate gluten. So I did some research and one article mentioned trying organic whole-bean coffee because it isn't highly processed causing cross-reactivity issues. So please do the research yourself, and test it out. I try to only post recipes that are 100% gluten-free since I have a gluten intolerance. I am really careful about avoiding gluten in my daily life.