This healthy vegan Matcha Oat Milk Latte is sweet and creamy. Made with 3 ingredients, it provides you with a focused sense of calm.
This Matcha Oat Milk Latte is my favorite way to get focused. I also add matcha powder to my morning smoothie.
If you have never had matcha green tea before, it has an earthy slightly bitter taste. When made into a matcha latte, it is sweet, rich, and creamy.
What is the difference between matcha and green tea?
Matcha green tea is grown differently than regular green tea. It is also made from the whole leaf, and has about three to ten times the amount of antioxidants as brewed green tea.
Even though it has caffeine, it also has L-Theanine, which has calming and relaxing properties and helps you to focus. Because of the nutrients it contains, you will feel a sense of endurance that can last up to four to six hours.
Matcha tea doesn't give you the jitters that some people feel after drinking coffee.
Regular green tea makes me feel nauseous, especially on an empty stomach, but Matcha green tea does not. Maybe it's because it contains the whole leaf.
Matcha green tea is usually made with a traditional bamboo whisk, which I still have yet to buy. Instead, I blend my matcha latte by whisking it with a fork.
The old saying "you get what you pay for" applies to matcha green tea. I've read that the best quality comes from Japan, where matcha green tea originated. I have only tried a few different brands so far, so I can't really comment on the best matcha green teas.
I have tried the premium quality and the ceremonial quality. There's also a culinary quality. My latest matcha powder is a combination of premium and ceremonial.
- Matcha green tea powder: I use a blend of ceremonial grade and premium grade harvested matcha. I recommend a high-quality matcha powder for the best taste. Save the culinary-grade matcha for baking.
- Oat milk: Adds a rich flavor and creamy texture. You could also use soy milk, almond milk, full-fat coconut milk, or another dairy-free milk. You could even use hot water, but I prefer oat milk.
- Superfood original creamer (optional): Adds sweetness. I like this blend for a matcha latte because it has coconut milk powder and coconut sugar. It doesn't overpower the latte or make it too sweet. You could also use agave syrup or your favorite sweetener. When combined, it tastes similar to Navitas Matcha Latte mix, which I really love.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Pour oat milk in a small saucepan and heat on the stove. Don't let it get too hot. You want it to be 176° F (80° C) or cooler so the matcha doesn't become bitter.
Step 2: Add the matcha powder and superfood creamer to a mug and pour the oat milk on top. Whisk.
Alternatively, you can remove the saucepan from the heat, add the matcha powder and superfood creamer, then whisk.
Whisk with a matcha whisk, regular whisk or fork until matcha powder is dissolved.
You could use a milk frother if you have one, or shake the hot matcha latte in a mason jar with a secure lid.
Do not heat the oat milk too long. You want the temperature to be 176° F (80° C) or cooler so the matcha doesn't become bitter.
Other Vegan Drinks
If you tried this Matcha Oat Milk Latte Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
I originally posted this recipe on Dec. 20, 2017. I added new photos and text when I republished it.
Matcha Oat Milk Latte
- Bring oat milk to a low simmer in a small pot over medium heat. Don't let the oat milk get too hot. You want the temperature to be 176° F (80° C) or cooler so the matcha doesn't become bitter.
- Place the matcha tea powder and superfood original creamer into a mug and pour the oat milk in and whisk. Alternatively, you can remove the saucepan from the heat, then pour the matcha tea powder and superfood original creamer in the saucepan and whisk.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.