Here is an easy comforting Vegan Tortilla Soup recipe that is perfect for curling up with on cold Fall and Winter days.
You may think that I am crazy, but I love soup all year round, even with Tucson’s hot climate. I made this Vegan Tortilla Soup in May when it was just starting to get hot here. I think I like to eat soup year round because I am always cold in my house. Right now as I type this I have on a thick scarf and fingerless gloves. I pretty much live in them.
I love all things Mexican inspired, so this soup came together quite easily. Black beans are a staple in my pantry, so I knew that I had to make this soup with black beans. This may surprise those of you who follow my blog, but I did not add a lot of spice to this recipe. If you want to make it spicier, you could use a serrano pepper instead of a jalapeño, or add hot sauce when serving.
*Affiliate links below. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you.
Vegan Tortilla Soup
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 15 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 15 ounce can black beans
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 2 or 3 corn tortillas
- avocado, chopped
- key limes, sliced in half
- hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Brush tortillas with olive oil. Slice into 1/4″ strips. Put on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes, or until crispy.
- Add olive oil to a medium pot or Dutch oven. Add chopped onions. Cook about 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add minced garlic, jalapeño, cumin, chili powder, and paprika. Cook for a minute longer.
- Pour fire roasted tomatoes, corn, black beans, and vegetable broth into pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with corn tortilla strips, cilantro, and chopped avocado. Serve with key lime wedges and hot sauce.