Here is an easy comforting Vegan Tortilla Soup recipe that is perfect for curling up with on cold Fall and Winter days.
You may think that I am crazy, but I love soup all year round, even with Tucson's hot climate. I made this Vegan Tortilla Soup in May when it was just starting to get hot here.
I think I like to eat soup year round because I am always cold in my house. Right now as I type this I have on a thick scarf and fingerless gloves. I pretty much live in them.
I love all things Mexican inspired, so this soup came together quite easily. Black beans are a staple in my pantry, so I knew that I had to make this soup with black beans.
This may surprise those of you who follow my blog, but I did not add a lot of spice to this recipe. If you want to make it spicier, you could use a serrano pepper instead of a jalapeño, or add hot sauce when serving.
Here is an easy comforting Vegan Tortilla Soup recipe that is perfect for curling up with on cold Fall and Winter days. Click To Tweet
Other Soup Recipes You Might Like
- Creamy Corn Soup with Jalapeño
- Thai Curry Butternut Squash Soup
- Sweet Potato Soup with Toasted Pecans
- Roasted Pepper and Tomato Soup
Vegan Tortilla Soup
This easy tortilla soup has black beans, corn, onion, jalapeño, fire roasted tomatoes, and corn tortillas - all the flavors you'd expect in a Mexican inspired soup!
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I love a small baking sheet for baking the corn tortilla strips. The one below is the one I own. It fits perfectly in a toaster oven.
Vegan Tortilla Soup
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 15 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 15 ounce can black beans
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 2 or 3 corn tortillas
- Avocado chopped
- Key limes sliced in half
- Hot sauce optional
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Brush tortillas with olive oil. Slice into 1/4" strips. Put on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes, or until crispy.
- Add olive oil to a medium pot or Dutch oven. Add chopped onions. Cook about 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add minced garlic, jalapeño, cumin, chili powder, and paprika. Cook for a minute longer.
- Pour fire roasted tomatoes, corn, black beans, and vegetable broth into pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with corn tortilla strips, cilantro, and chopped avocado. Serve with key lime wedges and hot sauce.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.