These healthy Baked Tofu Nuggets are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They are sure to please even the pickiest eaters!
These Baked Tofu Nuggets have a crispy texture while being soft on the inside. Seasoned with cheesy nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard, onion powder, and garlic powder, they are easy and flavorful.
❤️ Why You'll Love Them
- They have a crispy coating while being soft on the inside.
- It's an easy recipe with simple ingredients the whole family will love.
- Eat it with your favorite sauce. These easy baked tofu nuggets go well with BBQ sauce or vegan honey mustard sauce.
- Tofu: I used extra-firm tofu packed in water found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. Firm tofu also works.
- Dijon mustard: I like Dijon mustard, but you could also use yellow mustard or spicy brown mustard.
- Almond milk: I used unsweetened plain almond milk. You could also use soy milk, oat milk, or your favorite dairy-free milk.
- Nutritional yeast: Adds a cheesy flavor. You could leave it out, but it will change the flavor profile. You could also use store-bought or homemade vegan parmesan.
- Chickpea flour (garbanzo bean flour): I like chickpea flour for the breading, but you could use rice flour or a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend.
- Garlic powder and onion powder: Adds a pungent flavor.
- Cumin: Adds a warm spice flavor.
- Salt and black pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor. I like to use sea salt.
- Olive oil: Helps the tofu get crispy. You could also use avocado oil or another neutral-tasting oil.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Drain and press the tofu to get rid of the excess water. If you don't have a tofu press you can place a kitchen towel on a cutting board.
Step 2: Then place a cast iron skillet or other heavy object on top. Let sit for 15 minutes or so. Slice tofu into nugget-sized pieces.
Step 3: In a small bowl, whisk the Dijon mustard and almond milk together.
Step 4: In a separate bowl, whisk nutritional yeast, chickpea flour (garbanzo bean flour), onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour mixture into a shallow dish for easier rolling.
Step 5: Dip the pressed tofu cubes into the wet mixture, then the dry mixture. Drizzle a little oil on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet. Place tofu bites in a single layer on the oiled parchment paper.
Step 6: Bake for 20 minutes, flip, and bake until crispy and golden brown.
- Don't be stingy with the black pepper! It adds a lot of flavor to the batter.
- Use a shallow dish for the dry mix. It makes it easier to roll the tofu in the mix.
- Taste the dry ingredient mix before dipping the tofu in it. You may want more of a particular spice.
- Try to keep one hand for the wet ingredients and one for the dry ingredients to keep things cleaner.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
This crispy baked tofu nugget recipe will keep up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge. They are best eaten right away but can be reheated in the oven.
If you are looking for a baked tofu recipe, look no further! These Crispy Tofu Nuggets are a healthy snack or meal.
If you tried this Baked Tofu Nuggets Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
I originally posted this recipe on September 20, 2017. I added new photos, text, and a video when I republished it.
Baked Tofu Nuggets
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice tofu into nugget sized pieces.
- In one bowl, mix Dijon mustard and unsweetened plain almond milk.
- In another bowl, mix nutritional yeast, garbanzo bean flour, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour mixture into a shallow dish for easier rolling.
- Dip tofu nuggets in wet mixture, then in dry mixture. Place on an oiled piece of parchment on a sheet pan. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes, flip and bake for another 20 minutes*.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.