These healthy Baked Tofu Nuggets are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They are sure to please even the pickiest eaters!
These Baked Tofu Nuggets are perfect for anyone who thinks they don’t like tofu. They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Seasoned with cheesy nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard, onion powder, and garlic powder, these are sure to please.
They make a great snack or appetizer. They go well with BBQ sauce or sweet mustard dressing. Since they are baked they are a healthy addition to any meal.
I know there’s a stereotype about vegans eating tofu all the time, which many vegans don’t like and would like to put to rest. I, on the other hand, have to say that even after being vegan for eighteen years, I love tofu. Yes, I eat a variety of plant-based proteins, but I have to say that tofu is still one of my favorites, even after all of these years.
One of the reasons that I love tofu so much is that it is so versatile. It can be made into pudding, vegan sour cream, tofu frittata, or these nuggets. It takes on the flavors that you mix with it. So does this vegan eat a lot of tofu? You bet she does!
You may be wondering which tofu I like the best. I use silken occasionally, like if I want to make a dressing, pudding, or dip. But mainly I use firm or extra firm, and I always buy sprouted. The firm and extra firm are best for making things like tofu bacon, tofu fries, and tofu scramble, all of which I make pretty consistently.
Sometimes I love to cook just for the sake of cooking – not to create a recipe, but just to cook and wing it in the kitchen. I love to use herbs and spices that I know will work well together, but not have to write it down. Tofu scramble and tofu fries are just those types of wing it types of meals. It’s fun just to cook for the sake of cooking.
There are many times when I put off creating a recipe because I know that not only do I have to figure out amounts for ingredients, but I also have to take a ton of photographs. Not to mention cook the recipe more than once…
If you try these Baked Tofu Nuggets, let me know what you think! I would love to know if the tofu haters out there liked them!
These healthy Baked Tofu Nuggets are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Click To Tweet
Other Tofu Recipes You Might Like
- Tofu Sushi Rolls with Quinoa
- Greek Salad with Tofu Feta
- Tofu Ricotta
- Vegan BLAT
- Tofu Scramble and Black Bean Breakfast Burrito
*Affiliate links below. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you.
Baked Tofu Nuggets
- 14 ounce extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons chickpea flour (garbanzo bean)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Optional Dipping Sauces
- Gluten Free BBQ Sauce, Sweet Mustard Dressing, or marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Slice tofu into nugget sized pieces.
- In one bowl, mix Dijon mustard and unsweetened plain almond milk.
- In another bowl, mix nutritional yeast, garbanzo bean flour, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Dip tofu nuggets in wet mixture, then in dry mixture. Place on an oiled piece of parchment on a sheet pan. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes, flip and bake for another 20 minutes*.
- Serve with Gluten Free BBQ Sauce, Sweet Mustard Dressing, or marinara sauce.
*Note: If you have leftovers, bake for a few minutes and they will crisp up again. Microwaving them will not keep them as crispy.
If you prefer frying, pour enough oil into a pan about 1/2 the way up the pan. You can test the oil by dropping a couple of drops of water or the batter into the oil. If they sizzle, your oil is hot enough. Fry until golden brown, and flip and fry the other side.