These BBQ Tempeh Tacos with Grilled Pineapple Guacamole are sweet and spicy! They will be a welcome change on taco night!
I have to admit, I don't use tempeh as much as tofu. They are similar in that they soak up the flavors you pair with them, but tempeh has a more pronounced flavor.
What Does Tempeh Taste Like?
If you have never had tempeh before, it has an earthy, nutty flavor much like mushrooms. It is less processed than tofu. It is a fermented food, making it a healthy choice.
These tacos are one of the ways I like to cook with tempeh. They are easy, simple, and delicious. Because of tempeh's strong flavor, I like to pair it with a strong sauce.
Since sweet and spicy is my favorite flavor combination, I like to sneak it in whenever I can. My favorite BBQ sauce is sweet and spicy, so I used that. Depending upon the BBQ sauce you use, the flavor profile of these tacos could be different than mine.
Then, I added grilled pineapple guacamole to add more sweetness. Sliced radishes add even more spice.
Quick and Easy
For this recipe you just add water and your favorite BBQ sauce to tempeh, cook it down, and voilà, BBQ Tempeh Tacos are born. If you are gluten free, make sure to get soy tempeh and not any added grains. There are many BBQ sauces with gluten as well, so check the labels first.These BBQ Tempeh Tacos with Grilled Pineapple Guacamole are sweet and spicy! Click To Tweet
- Spicy Tofu Tacos
- Vegan Nachos
- Smothered Vegan Burritos
- Vegan Refried Bean Burrito with Jalapeño Cilantro Hummus
How to Make This Recipe
- Crumble tempeh.
- In a skillet, add water, BBQ sauce, and tempeh. Cook until sauce is cooked down, about 5-8 minutes.
- In a corn tortilla, add BBQ tempeh, sliced radish, and grilled pineapple guacamole.
- Repeat with the rest of tortillas.
Additions / Variations
- sliced avocado
- guacamole with mango
- sriracha coleslaw or another coleslaw
- pickled peppers and onions
- green onion
- vegan sour cream
How Long Will BBQ Tempeh Last?
BBQ Tempeh will last about 3-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
These tempeh tacos have a perfect combination of flavors. If you've never had tempeh before, this is a great place to start!
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
BBQ Tempeh Tacos with Grilled Pineapple Guacamole
Grilled Pineapple Guacamole
- ½ cup chopped pineapple
- 2 large firm avocados
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 4 teaspoons chopped jalapeño
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup key lime juice (or lime juice)
Grilled Pineapple Guacamole
- Slice pineapple and avocado.
- Oil grill pan, grilling basket or grill. Grill sliced pineapple and avocado until grill marks appear. Turn over and grill the other side.
- Mash avocado. Chop grilled pineapple, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño. Add to mashed avocado.
- Add salt and lime juice. Let sit in fridge until it cools.
- Either slice or break apart tempeh into pieces. In a pan, add water, tempeh, and BBQ sauce. Cook until sauce is cooked down.
- In a corn tortilla, add BBQ tempeh, radish, and grilled pineapple guacamole. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.