These BBQ Tempeh Tacos with Grilled Pineapple Guacamole are sweet and spicy! They will be a welcome change on taco night!
I have to admit, I don't use tempeh as much as tofu.
Tofu and tempeh are similar in that they soak up the flavors you pair with them, but tempeh has a more pronounced flavor.
Tempeh goes well with strong flavors, like these BBQ Tempeh Tacos.
Another BBQ recipe to try is my Crispy BBQ Chickpeas.
❤️ Why You'll Love Them
- They're sweet and spicy with a balance of flavors.
- They are simple and easy to make.
- They are a fun twist on tacos.
What Does Tempeh Taste Like?
If you have never had tempeh before, it has an earthy, nutty flavor much like mushrooms. It is less processed than tofu. It is a fermented food, making it a healthy choice.
These tacos are one of the ways I like to cook with tempeh. They are easy, simple, and delicious. Because of tempeh's strong flavor, I like to pair it with a strong sauce.
Since sweet and spicy is my favorite flavor combination, I like to sneak it in whenever I can. My favorite BBQ sauce is sweet and spicy, so I used that.
Depending upon the BBQ sauce you use, the flavor profile of these tacos could be different than mine.
Then, I added grilled pineapple guacamole to add more sweetness. Sliced radishes add even more spice.
For this recipe you just add water and your favorite BBQ sauce to tempeh, cook it down, and voilà, BBQ Tempeh Tacos are born.
If you are gluten-free, make sure to get soy tempeh and not any added grains. There are many BBQ sauces with gluten as well, so check the labels first.
Other vegan Mexican-inspired recipes are my Vegan Nachos with Queso, Smothered Vegan Burritos, and Vegan Refried Bean Burrito with Jalapeño Cilantro Hummus.
- Pineapple: You could use fresh, canned, or frozen pineapple.
- Olive oil: For grilling the pineapple and avocado.
- Red onion: A yellow onion, white onion, or green onions would also work.
- Jalapeño: Adds spice. For less spice remove the ribs and seeds. For even more spice you could use a serrano pepper.
- Cilantro: To me guacamole needs cilantro. If you are one of those people who don't like cilantro, leave it out.
- Lime juice: I used key lime juice because I love the flavor. Regular lime juice works just fine.
- Salt: Enhances flavors. I like to use sea salt.
- Tempeh: I used soy tempeh found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. If you are gluten intolerant, make sure to check labels. Some tempeh has grains added.
- BBQ sauce: I used my favorite gluten-free BBQ sauce. You could also make my 4 Ingredient BBQ Sauce recipe, which has pantry staples you probably already have on hand.
- Corn tortillas: Since posting this I found out I have a corn intolerance. Siete makes some great grain-free tortillas and chips for those of us who are gluten and corn-intolerant.
- Radish: Adds spice. You can leave it out.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
📖 Variations / Additions
Sign Up For My Newsletter
Get a FREE Vegan Mexican Recipes eBook as a welcome gift!
Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Slice pineapple and avocado.
Step 2: Oil a grill, grilling basket, or grill pan.
Step 3: Grill pineapple and avocado until grill marks appear.
Step 4: In a bowl, mash avocado.
Step 5: Chop pineapple. Add chopped pineapple, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño to the bowl.
Step 6: Add salt and lime juice. Mix well. Let sit in the fridge until it cools.
Step 7: Crumble tempeh.
Step 8: In a skillet, add water, BBQ sauce, and tempeh. Cook until the sauce is cooked down, about 5-8 minutes.
Step 9: In a corn tortilla, add BBQ tempeh, sliced radish, and grilled pineapple guacamole.
Step 10: Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Tempeh has an earthy nutty flavor.
More Vegan Tacos
If you tried this BBQ Tempeh Tacos Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
BBQ Tempeh Tacos with Grilled Pineapple Guacamole
Grilled Pineapple Guacamole
Grilled Pineapple Guacamole
- Slice pineapple and avocado.
- Oil grill pan, grilling basket or grill. Grill sliced pineapple and avocado until grill marks appear. Turn over and grill the other side.
- Mash avocado in a bowl. Chop pineapple. Add chopped pineapple, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño to the bowl.
- Add salt and lime juice. Mix well. Let sit in the fridge until it cools.
- Either slice or break apart tempeh into pieces. In a pan, add water, tempeh, and BBQ sauce. Cook until sauce is cooked down.
- In a corn tortilla, add BBQ tempeh, radish, and grilled pineapple guacamole. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.