This smoky spicy Chipotle Cashew Cream sauce is the perfect addition to tacos, burritos, or anywhere else you want to add some spice.
I made this Chipotle Cashew Cream to eat with my Black Bean Jicama Tacos, and the combination was fabulous! This chipotle sauce can be used for tacos, burritos, fajitas, or in a sandwich.
Drizzle it on vegan nachos or use it as a dip. Vegan chipotle crema thickens after being refrigerated.
If you want a thin consistency you could either use it right after making it or add more water if you plan on using it later.
- Cashews: For the creamy texture.
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce: Adds a spicy smoky flavor. If you don't like things too spicy, check the spice level after adding one chipotle. If you have a corn intolerance or gluten intolerance like me, make sure to read the labels. Many brands contain corn starch.
- Lemon juice: Balances out the cream. Adds a tart acidic flavor. You could also use lime juice.
- Sriracha sauce: Adds a spicy garlic flavor.
- Vegan sour cream: Adds a tangy flavor and more creaminess. Taste it to see if you think it needs it. You could also use vegan yogurt or vegan mayo, or leave it out.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
- Water: Thins out the sauce.
For the list of ingredients with measurements and instructions see the recipe card at the end of this post.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Chipotle powder in place of chipotle peppers
- Cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper for more spiciness and a taco flavor
Sign Up For My Newsletter
Get a FREE Vegan Mexican Recipes eBook as a welcome gift!
Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Soak cashews in water for 4 hours. Drain water. If you are in a hurry, you can soak the cashews for 1 hour in hot water.
Step 2: In a food processor blend cashews, water, chipotle in adobo sauce, vegan sour cream, lemon juice, sriracha sauce, and salt and pepper until smooth and creamy.
🥜 Cashew Recipes
If you tried this Chipotle Cashew Cream Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
I originally posted this recipe on January 26, 2015. I added new photos and text when I republished it.
Chipotle Cashew Cream
- Soak cashews in water for 4 hours. Drain water. If you are in a hurry, you can soak the cashews for 1 hour in hot water.
- Mix all ingredients in a food processor, and mix until smooth and creamy.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.