This easy Vegan Taco Pasta is a healthy weeknight meal. Made with spicy crumbled tofu, onion, diced tomatoes, and taco spices.
This Vegan Taco Pasta has all the flavors of tacos but in pasta form. This fusion dish has spicy crumbled tofu, which is almost the same recipe as my Spicy Tofu Tacos but with doubled the amount of spices since there's pasta with it.
In this recipe, I used marinara sauce and diced tomatoes instead of tomato paste. I kept this vegan pasta pretty simple.
You could use black bean and corn salsa in place of the diced tomatoes, or even add black beans and corn to the mix. I personally like it without.
Sometimes simple is best. For me, it was a textural thing. I didn't want any contrasting textures this time around.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It has all the flavors of tacos but in pasta form.
- It is a comforting meal.
- It is made in 30 minutes.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Pasta: I used gluten-free fusilli noodles. You could also use shell pasta, spaghetti, or another type of pasta that holds the sauce well.
- Onion: Adds a sweet pungent flavor.
- Olive oil: For cooking the veggies. Any high-heat neutral oil will work.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
- Tofu: I used extra firm tofu packed in water found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. You could also use firm tofu.
- Chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, Mexican oregano: Adds a taco flavor. You could also use taco seasoning.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
- Marinara sauce: Use your favorite marinara sauce. If it has herbs and spices, all the better.
- Diced tomatoes: I used canned tomatoes. You could also use fresh tomatoes or salsa.
- Vegan cheddar: Adds a cheesy bite. I like Follow Your Heart and Daiya brands of vegan cheese.
- Cilantro: Adds a fresh note. You could leave it off. You could also use green onions.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Cook pasta according to directions, reserving some of the pasta water.
Step 2: In a skillet over medium heat cook onions in olive oil until translucent.
Step 3: Add garlic and cook 30 seconds longer.
Step 4: Add tofu and cook until browned.
Step 5: Add herbs, spices, diced tomatoes, and marinara sauce.
Step 6: Add pasta and pasta water and cook through.
- I like things decently spicy, so I would suggest starting with less spice. You can always add more, but you can't take it away. If you're feeding kids, I especially suggest starting with less spice.
- You could switch out the diced tomatoes for some salsa, like black bean and corn, but keep in mind it will add more spice.
- If all else fails, and you made it too spicy, add some shredded vegan cheddar to cool things off. You could also add some vegan sour cream. Both will not only cool things down but add some creaminess as well.
Other Vegan Pasta Recipes
If you tried this Vegan Taco Pasta Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Vegan Taco Pasta
- 8 ounces gluten free fusilli noodles I used brown rice
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu crumbled into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano crushed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- Shredded vegan cheddar for topping (optional)
- Chopped cilantro for topping (optional)
- Cook the fusilli noodles according to package directions, but a couple of minutes less since they will be cooked again with the sauce. Drain the pasta saving about ¼ cup to ½ cup pasta water.
- Add olive oil to a hot pan. Add chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic. Cook 30 seconds.
- Add crumbled tofu. Cook for about 5-10 minutes, or until starting to turn golden brown in areas.
- Add herbs and spices,marinara sauce, and diced tomatoes. Mix thoroughly and cook for a few minutes.
- Add pasta with the pasta water and cook until cooked through, about two minutes.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.