This recipe for homemade Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups is a fun treat for chocolate lovers. They are easy to make with only 4 ingredients!
If you love sweets, then these Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups are for you. They are guaranteed to satisfy your sweet tooth.
These chocolate treats have an ooey-gooey center and a dark chocolate coating. The inspiration for the almond filling came from my 2 Ingredient peanut butter fudge recipe, which is made from peanut butter and sweetened condensed coconut milk.
When I made these dark chocolate almond butter cups I used a whole can of sweetened condensed coconut milk, so I ended up with 24. I love chocolate, but that's a lot of sweets for this girl!
So for you, I cut the recipe in half. You're probably asking Willow, what do I do with that other half of sweetened condensed coconut milk?
Not to worry, I've got you covered.
You can either make half a batch of The Ultimate 2 Ingredient Vegan Peanut Butter Fudge or half a batch of Vegan Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream - no ice cream machine required.
Sweetened condensed coconut milk also tastes great in coffee.
Since you're already mixing the sweetened condensed coconut milk with almond butter, you might as well freeze the rest of the mixture and make 2 ingredient almond butter fudge instead of 2 Ingredient Vegan Peanut Butter Fudge.
❤️ Why You'll Love Them
- They are sweet, rich, and creamy.
- They have an ooey-gooey center made with nutty almond butter and a dark chocolate shell.
- Made with simple ingredients, they are better than your favorite store-bought almond butter cups!
- Almond butter: I used all-natural organic almond butter, but peanut butter, cashew butter, or sunflower butter would also work. You could also add organic almonds for some crunchy.
- Sweetened condensed coconut milk: Adds a sweet, rich, creamy flavor. You could also use sweetened condensed oat milk. A liquid sweetener like maple syrup or agave syrup would also work, but to me, the best part is the sweet, rich flavor that the sweetened condensed coconut milk adds.
- Salt: Enhances sweetness. I like to use sea salt.
- Vegan dark chocolate baking chunks: Adds a dark chocolate flavor. You could also use semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Coconut oil: Makes the chocolate smooth and helps it harden. You could leave it out.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine almond butter, sweetened condensed coconut milk, and salt. Let cool and pour into a container and let set in the fridge.
Step 2: Melt the dark chocolate baking chunks in a heatproof bowl over a small saucepan with a couple of inches of water. (If you have a double boiler, use that.)
Step 3: Pour a tablespoonful of chocolate into each of the cupcake liners so that it goes up the sides.
Step 4: Place a dollop of almond butter filling in each of the chocolate-lined cupcake liners.
Step 5: Pour a tablespoonful of chocolate over the almond butter layer. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for best results.
- Make the creamy almond butter center first so that it can firm up in the fridge. I made mine the day before to make things easier.
- If you have extra filling, just divide up the extra and add it to the ones you've already filled. You can also freeze the extra into fudge.
- Place the cupcake liners in a standard muffin tin to keep the chocolate cups stable. I don't have one so I placed them on a sheet pan.
- Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt or flaky sea salt on top of each cup before the chocolate hardens. I didn't have sea salt flakes so I added sea salt instead. I could taste a hint of sea salt. Sea salt flakes would have been more pronounced.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
These homemade almond butter cups are made with almond butter, sweetened condensed coconut milk, dark chocolate, coconut oil, and salt.
Yes, these are best stored in the fridge because they melt at room temperature.
Other Vegan Chocolate Desserts
If you tried this Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
This sweet treat makes the perfect gift for Valentine's Day!
Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
Almond Butter Filling
Dark Chocolate Coating
- 2 cups dark chocolate baking chunks or chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Sea salt or sea salt flakes (optional)
Almond Butter Filling
- Pour sweetened condensed coconut milk, almond butter, and a pinch of sea salt into a saucepan over medium heat. Stir well to combine. Stirring constantly, bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Let cool.
- Pour into a plastic wrap lined 6x6" baking dish (or similar size). Place in the fridge to set.
Dark Chocolate Coating
- Place a heat proof bowl over a saucepan filled with water (or use a double boiler). Pour the dark chocolate chips and the coconut oil in the bowl over medium heat.
- Stirring constantly, heat chocolate mixture until smooth and melted. Turn off heat.
- Place 12 cupcake liners in a muffin pan or on a sheet pan. With a tablespoon sized spoon, spread a tablespoonful of melted chocolate into each cupcake liner, spreading chocolate up the sides of the cupcake liner.
- Scoop a spoonful of the almond mixture and place it into the chocolate filled cupcake liner. Repeat with the rest of the almond butter filling.
- Pour a tablespoonful of chocolate over each almond butter filled chocolate cup. Sprinkle sea salt or sea salt flakes on top. Let set in the fridge.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.