This fudgy no-churn Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream is rich and creamy. Made with vegan marshmallows, chopped walnuts, and chocolate chips mixed in.
This Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream is super chocolaty and rich. There's no ice cream machine needed to make this easy homemade ice cream!
This rocky road ice cream recipe has chocolate chips, full-fat coconut milk, sweetened condensed coconut milk, cacao powder, vanilla extract, salt, walnuts, vegan marshmallows, and chopped chocolate chips.
Another ice cream recipe with chocolate chips is my Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream recipe.
If you like the taste of Kahlua, try my Vegan White Russian Ice Cream.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It is sweet and rich.
- Made with cacao powder and chocolate chips, it is super chocolaty.
- You don't need an ice cream maker!
- Chocolate chips: I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. You could also use dark chocolate baking chunks.
- Coconut milk: Adds a rich creamy flavor. I used full-fat coconut milk. Light coconut milk will not work for this recipe.
- Sweetened condensed coconut milk: Adds a sweet, rich, creamy flavor.
- Cacao powder (or cocoa powder): Adds a chocolaty flavor.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances flavors.
- Salt: Enhances sweetness.
- Walnuts: You could also use almonds or any nuts you like.
- Vegan mini marshmallows: You could also use large vegan marshmallows and chop them into smaller pieces.
- Chocolate chips (for adding in at the end): I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. You could also use dark chocolate baking chunks.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Sliced almonds or another nut
- Candied nuts
- Vegan marshmallow fluff
- Chocolate sauce
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 2: Stirring constantly, heat the chocolate mixture until smooth and melted. Turn off the heat.
Step 3: Add the rest of the ingredients.
Step 4: Whisk to combine.
Step 5: Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze for 1 hour. (This is so that the walnuts and vegan marshmallows don't sink to the bottom.)
Step 6: Chop walnuts and chocolate chips.
Step 7: Add chopped walnuts, vegan marshmallows, and chopped chocolate chips to the chocolate ice cream.
Step 8: Mix well and place back in the freezer.
- You may want more or less of the add-ins (walnuts, vegan marshmallows, and chopped chocolate chips). Start with less if you know you don't like a lot of texture in your ice cream.
- When melting the chocolate chips make sure the bowl isn't touching the water. You want the steam to heat the bowl and melt the chocolate.
- You can also melt chocolate in the microwave at 30-second intervals. Just make sure to not get any liquid in the container. I recently had some chocolate seize up because I accidentally got some liquid in it.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Traditionally Rocky Road is chocolate with marshmallows and almonds, but for this Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream I used walnuts because I like the combination of flavors.
🍨 Other Vegan Ice Cream Recipes
If you tried this Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 13.5 ounces full-fat coconut milk (1 ½ cups)
- ½ cup sweetened condensed coconut milk (½ of an 11.25 ounce can)
- ½ cup cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or almonds
- ½ cup vegan mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup chocolate chips chopped
- Place a heat proof bowl over a saucepan filled with water (or use a double boiler). Pour the chocolate chips in the bowl over medium heat.*
- Stirring constantly, heat chocolate mixture until smooth and melted. Turn off heat.
- Add coconut milk, sweetened condensed coconut milk, cacao powder, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix well and freeze for 1 hour. (This is so that walnuts, chocolate chips, and vegan marshmallows don't sink to the bottom.)
- Fold in walnuts, vegan marshmallows, and chopped chocolate chips. Place back in the freezer.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.