This Creamy Vegan Cucumber Salad is simple and easy. Crispy cucumber is combined with red onion, dill, vegan sour cream, and lemon juice.
This Creamy Vegan Cucumber Salad is the perfect side dish for a picnic or potluck. The creamy dressing reminds me of vegan tzatziki, but without the garlic.
You can make it with vegan sour cream or vegan yogurt. If you choose to make it with vegan yogurt it tastes even more like tzatziki in my opinion.
I actually prefer it with vegan sour cream because of the creamy tangy flavor. I guess it depends upon the vegan brand of sour cream you use as well.
My favorite cucumber salad recipe is my Spicy Cucumber Salad with Peanuts, probably because it's spicy and reminds me of the cucumber salads that I've had in Thai restaurants.
Want to try a new way of eating cucumbers? How about a fried recipe!
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- English cucumber: I prefer English cucumbers because I like the flavor and they have less seeds.
- Red onion: Adds a pungent taste.
- Fresh dill: Adds a bright fresh flavor. I think it is the star of the show. If you prefer not to use dill, you could use another herb or a combination of fresh herbs. Cilantro or tarragon would be the ones I would reach for, but either will totally change the flavor profile.
- Lemon juice: Adds a bright sour note.
- Vegan sour cream: Adds a creamy texture and rich flavor. I used Tofutti brand vegan sour cream because I like how rich, thick, and creamy it is. You could also use vegan yogurt. Vegan mayo might also work, but I haven't tested it.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Mix the sliced cucumbers and salt in a bowl. Place in a colander over a bowl.
Step 2: Let sit 15-30 minutes. Drain the water that has been collected in the bowl.
Step 3: Mix vegan sour cream, dill, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
Step 4: Add sliced cucumber and red onion. Stir to combine.
This cucumber salad recipe will last 4-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Other Vegan Salads
This refreshing salad is great for a potluck or outdoor gathering.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
I originally posted this recipe on August 13, 2016. I added new photos and text when I republished it.
Creamy Vegan Cucumber Salad
- Mix the cucumbers and ½ teaspoon salt in a bowl. Place a colander over the bowl and put cucumber in it. Let sit for 15-30 minutes. Discard the liquid that collects.
- Mix dill, vegan sour cream, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Add cucumber and red onion. Mix well.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.