This rich savory Vegan Reuben Sandwich is filled with gooey vegan Swiss, tofu bacon, and the best sauerkraut that I have ever had.
If you have been following me for awhile, you probably have read that I have been eating low carb for quite a few months. Even though I am posting a Vegan Reuben Sandwich recipe, I am still eating low carb.
I just happen to have a backlog of recipes waiting to be posted – about three months worth. So, yes, I will still be posting some low carb recipes here and there, in between the other recipes.
I will admit that I haven’t really missed bread very much since eating low carb, especially since I have been making my own low carb versions. (Stay tuned for those recipes.)
I do have to say though, seeing this Reuben and remembering how good it tastes is making my mouth water!
After making one of my favorite recipes, a Vegan Teriyaki Reuben with Spicy Thousand Island Dressing, I knew a Vegan Reuben Sandwich was in order.
The teriyaki version is sweet and spicy, whereas this Reuben is more sweet, smoky, and savory. It is one of many sandwiches that I was enjoying on a sandwich phase awhile back. (I tend to go through phases of what I eat.)This Vegan Reuben Sandwich is rich and savory! Click To Tweet
One of the great components of this Vegan Reuben is the sauerkraut. I used a garlic dill pickle sauerkraut by Farmhouse Culture (not an affiliate). I could sit and eat this stuff for a meal it is so good!
I used tofu bacon because it has a sweet maple flavor with a touch of smokiness. To add a rich flavor, I used a vegan Swiss cheese. It tastes richer than the Swiss cheese that I remember, but then I have been vegan for about eighteen years.
*Affiliate link below. If you make a purchase through that link, I will make a small commission.
Vegan Reuben Sandwich
Ingredients – per sandwich
- 1 tablespoon vegan thousand island dressing
- 2 slices tofu bacon
- 3 tablespoons raw sauerkraut – I used garlic dill pickle
- 2 slices vegan Swiss cheese
- 2 slices gluten free bread – I used brown rice
- Toast the bread. Top with tofu bacon and vegan Swiss cheese. Either toast or broil open-faced for several minutes, until vegan Swiss melts.
- Spread vegan thousand island on toast (or serve on the side for dipping). Top with raw sauerkraut. Place the other slice of toast on top. Slice in half and serve.