This creamy Mexican Chocolate Chia Pudding is sweet and slightly spicy. It is vegan, gluten free, and sugar free.
I have really taken a liking to chia puddings. They are healthy, filling, and loaded with nutrients.
If you don't like the texture of chia pudding, you can blend it thoroughly, as I have done for this Mexican Chocolate Chia Pudding. The consistency is more like the pudding you are used to.
Chia pudding is great for breakfast, dessert or as a snack.
Chia seeds are really versatile. Besides chia pudding, I have used them as the main ingredient in Pizza Crackers, and as a binder in recipes like Vegan French Toast and a Vegan Monte Cristo. They are a good egg replacer.
Mix chia seeds with almond milk. Let sit so the chia seeds can get gelatinous.
Add cacao powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix in a blender or Nutribullet so it has a creamy consistency.
Garnish with cacao nibs or chocolate chips.
Chia pudding keeps in the fridge for up to five days.
- For a traditional pudding consistency, blend all the ingredients in a high speed blender.
- If you like the consistency of chia pudding, don't blend but instead mix all the ingredients by hand.
- If you mix by hand you will need to mix the dates with almond milk in a high speed blender if you are using them.
- Use stevia to make it sugar free.
- Use cayenne or chili powder, whichever you prefer. I preferred the cayenne.
- Taste as you go; you may want more or less sweetener or spices.
Other Mexican Inspired Recipes
- Vegan Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Black Bean and Corn Vegan Quesadilla
- Melt-In-Your-Mouth Mexican Chocolate Truffles
- Spinach, Tofu, and Pine Nut Enchiladas
This chocolate chia pudding with Mexican spices is a healthy, yet indulging treat. Eat it for breakfast, dessert, or as a snack. Hopefully, you will love it as much as I do!
This recipe was originally published on March 31, 2018. I've added new photos and more text.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This is the Nutribullet that I have. It's perfect for making this chia pudding with a traditional creamy texture.
Mexican Chocolate Chia Pudding
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder or cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch cayenne pepper or chili powder
- 15-20 drops stevia or 1 tablespoon maple syrup or 2 dates, softened in hot water
- pinch salt
- cacao nibs or chocolate chips for garnish
- Mix chia seeds and almond milk. Let sit in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Add cacao powder, cinnamon, vanilla extract, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, sweetener, and salt.
- Mix in a high speed blender or Nutribullet until smooth and creamy. Garnish with cacao nibs or chocolate chips.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Where has this recipe been all my life?
Just tried your Mexican chocolate chia pudding recipe, and it is DELICIOUS!
Willow Moon says
Thanks Judy, I’m so glad you liked it!
I was looking for a chocolate chia pudding recipe and came across your recipe. I wouldn't have thought to put Mexican spices in it, but it is delicious! I love the slightly spicy flavor!
Willow Moon says
Thanks Felicia, I'm so glad that you like it!