This easy Tofu Scramble and Black Bean Breakfast Burrito can be made in no time. It is perfect for breakfast on the go!
Normally my breakfast consists of a smoothie with Vega One, spinach, bananas, and water. Occasionally I will have a Tofu Scramble. With Cinco de Mayo around the corner I decided to make a Mexican inspired Tofu Scramble and Black Bean Breakfast Burrito. The tofu scramble tastes even better in a tortilla, and makes a great meal on the go. To me, this scramble is not very spicy. If you want more spice, you could add more serrano pepper. If you want less spice, you could use jalapeño, or omit the pepper altogether.
*Yes, you guessed it… that was an affiliate link in the ↑ above paragraph. If you make a purchase through that link, I will make a little moola to buy some fun kitchen gadgets (or wine).
Tofu Scramble and Black Bean Breakfast Burrito
- 14 oz. firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 15 oz. can of black beans
- 1 teaspoon chopped serrano pepper (1/2 pepper)
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup quartered grape or plum tomatoes
- 2 cups spinach
- gluten free tortillas – I used tortillas with a blend of brown rice, amaranth and mesquite
- Press tofu with a tofu press or put a towel on top of tofu and a plate on top of that. Next, put a heavy object like a skillet on the towel and let the water drain out for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in pan and add chopped onions. Cook until translucent.
- Crumble the tofu and add to the onion. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add black beans, serrano pepper, red pepper, garlic, and all the spices. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes and spinach, and cooked until spinach is wilted.
- Put tofu scramble in a tortilla and serve with vegan sour cream, salsa, or guacamole.