This Veggie Sandwich with Hummus is an easy healthy lunch. Made in minutes with homemade basil pesto hummus. Customize it to your liking!
This Veggie Sandwich with Hummus is about one of the easiest sandwiches that you could make, making it perfect for brown bagging it to work or a quick weeknight meal.
The homemade hummus literally takes minutes to whip up. Throw the ingredients in a food processor, mix, and you're done.
There's no reason to buy store-bought hummus when making your own is so quick and easy!
- Bread: I used French gluten-free sourdough bread. Use whatever your favorite is.
- Basil Pesto Hummus: This spread combines two recipes in one. It tastes like pesto and hummus got together and had a baby. You could also use your favorite homemade hummus, store-bought hummus, or baba ghanoush. If you like spicy hummus, you could use my spicy red pepper hummus recipe. For a sour hummus, use Dill Pickle Hummus.
- Roasted red pepper: Adds a sweet smoky flavor. You could also use fresh red bell pepper.
- Spinach: I used fresh spinach because it doesn't have a strong flavor and because that is what I had on hand. You could use kale or other greens.
- Basil: Adds a minty anise flavor and brings out the flavor of the basil pesto hummus. You could leave it off.
- Red onion: I used red onion, but you could use any kind of onion.
- Tomato: Adds a fresh juicy flavor. Switch it out for your favorite veggies.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Fresh red bell pepper
- Roasted veggies
- Avocado - smashed or slices
- Shredded carrot
- Vegan cheese
- Herbs: fresh dill or parsley
- Avocado Basil Pesto in place of the hummus
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Alfalfa sprouts or broccoli sprouts
- Romaine lettuce, kale, or other leafy greens
- Vegan Cream Cheese with Garden Vegetables
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Make the basil pesto hummus by mixing all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
Step 2: Toast the bread, if desired. Spread basil pesto hummus on a slice of bread. Sprinkle chopped basil on top.
Layer spinach on the bread, then roasted red pepper, sliced cucumber, sliced red onion, and sliced tomato.
There are so many ways you could mix this sandwich up. Here are some of my other homemade hummus recipes to use in this sandwich.
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus: Has a sweet smoky flavor.
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Hummus: Sun-dried tomatoes and basil are a match made in heaven!
- Kalamata Olive Hummus: For a briny hummus, look no further.
- Caramelized Onion Hummus: Has a sweet rich flavor.
- Sriracha Hummus: Adds a spicy note.
- Blot the roasted red pepper and tomato with a towel to reduce moisture.
- Create a barrier between the roasted red pepper and the bread for less moisture by layering spinach, then bread, then roasted red pepper.
- Sprinkle salt on the tomato to enhance flavor.
🥪 Other Sandwich Recipes
This veggie hummus sandwich is a great meal to bring to work or pack in the kids' lunch box.
If you tried this Veggie Sandwich with Hummus Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
I originally posted this recipe on June 3, 2017. I added new photos and text when I republished it.
Veggie Sandwich with Basil Pesto Hummus
- Spread basil pesto hummus on toasted bread.
- Layer on cucumber, red onion, and tomato. Sprinkle salt on the tomato, then layer roasted red pepper, spinach, and chopped basil.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.